how do I solve a problem with home network.

After connecting 3 devices for over a year, I could not connect to the external harddrive (wired to router) from either the desktop (also hardwired to router) nor the laptop (wirelessly connected to router. I can see both computers from the other computer but neither shows the external hard drive.

Going to the webpage of the router I can see all three devices --how can I find out if it is the router or the external drive that is at fault. I have tried resetting the desktop to an earlier version in case it was some update. I have also shut down router, unpluged and recycled and unplugging and replugging in the external hard drive, (in different port) help please

Windows 7 home premium (laptop) Windows 7 professional (desktop) runing Mcafee Internet security on both and that has been for several months now.

What brand router? what kind of external drive. I have a netgear router and two external drives connected via usb on the router. In order to get access to the drives connected to the router from windows I needed to get software from the netgear web site. For my netgear router it was called Ready Share