kazam destop recordings and openshot video editor

I was testing out openshot video editor with a screencast made with kazam , but when I dragged the video clip into openshot it didn't work. It just showed up for a split second but didn't show the entire screen capture I made.

I was wondering if it was because kKazam saves the screencast as .webm , I then tried using the ffmpeg command that Bruce provided in the other thread. That saved it as an .avi file and that one seemed to work. The only thing was that it was playing back a bit sped up.

I didn't see any options to save the file as a .avi when using kazam , is this possible?

What do you guys suggest I do in this situation?

Is my only option that I would have to convert it to be able to edit with openshot?

I posted a similar problem in the other thread. My flv was sped up, and I was not able to get the ogv into openshot. It is time to try a different video editor perhaps.

Damn, I was just starting to like it.

any suggestions? I think I'm gonna hit youtube again and see what I can find.

Did you try a video conversion program? That was why I was trying to get handbrake before, but I put that on hold. I think I'll go back and try to download it and try it.

I don't know what's going on with my software manager , I was trying to get inkscape for openshot , but it just sits there after I enter my password.

And now I just tried to get kdenlive and thats not downloading either.

You can only have one superuser software task going at one time, if I worded that right. Example: If you are doing a sudo in terminal and synaptic at the same time, the second one will not work.

If the software manager is not doing anything try the command line.

Installing software is always sudo apt-get install followed by the packages. I always use synaptic or the terminal, since I can see the dependencies and related packages. I never use the software center.

I installed them , but it was giving me this warning. It kinda got me a bit paranoid , should I not install when it says this? Whenever I use the software center I thought the programs were supposed to be safe , that's why I usually go there to DL programs.

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

libftgl2 libopenjpeg2 blender

Install these packages without verification [y/N]?

You are getting the same software from the command line, synaptic, etc. They are pulling from the EXACT same repositories. Thing is, terminal is actually able to give you some insight into things.

kdenlive works fine, I'm about to upload a video I made with it. I just happened to be on mint 12 when i got the urge to install kdenlive and kazam to do it, obviously opensuse, mint 11, etc should work just the same.

I suck with this video stuff. How the hell can I render a video while maintaining decent quality? The original screencast was perfect, when I edited it with kdenlive and rendered it, it turned to crap.

Edited by adam22

ok, so I don't need to worry about the warning. It just gets me worried when it tells me that and I don't really know what to do. Gives me more confidence when you guys tell me its ok.

cool, I'm going to test it out as well then. I'll post something tomorrow to let you know how it goes for me.

You are getting the same software from the command line, synaptic, etc. They are pulling from the EXACT same repositories. Thing is, terminal is actually able to give you some insight into things.

kdenlive works fine, I'm about to upload a video I made with it. I just happened to be on mint 12 when i got the urge to install kdenlive and kazam to do it, obviously opensuse, mint 11, etc should work just the same.

I suck with this video stuff. How the hell can I render a video while maintaining decent quality? The original screencast was perfect, when I edited it with kdenlive and rendered it, it turned to crap.

http-~~-//youtu.be/5AxIRS_7-P8

What command are you using to convert the videos?

You can upload either webm or mkv directly to you tube, it takes a while but the quality remains.

I personally use the command line for my videos I don't use youtube. I have used it a coule times but I can't stand waiting for huge files to upload, that is one of the reasons I use my own domain and pages for my videos. I convert to flv files.

I didn't use a command to convert. I used kdenlive to render it, and then on mint 11 I had tried a different software to convert, and it resulted in crap.

The reason why I don't directly upload the webm file is because I want to add a song to it. Not sure how that is done without editing it with kdenlive or openshot.

I have a website, I should start uploading there...

i'm not sure if you know already adam, but just in case.... you can record/add the audio track at the same time that you record the video. thats how i did mine. i got an audio track ready to play, clicked on kazam and when it opened, i chose the "gstreamer-h264/matroska" for the encoder type. also checked off audio source 1, and chose: "monitor of internal audio analog stereo" from the list (which also included my hdmi out to the tv).

next i clicked record, which gave me a 5 second count-down before starting....during the 5 seconds, i went back to my ready-to-play audio track, and started it playing just as the timer reached zero.

when i stopped the recording, it created a .mkv file, which i uploaded directly to youtube. can't really say how slow the upload was....it was not a very big file, so it did not take long at all.

Adam,

I just tried converting the file I made with Kazam using handbrake and it worked. It shows up in openshot perfectly now. Sound is good and the video speed is good.

try it out and see if it works for you . I don't know how well it will work for longer videos since I only tested it with a short screencast. I'll try making a longer video with Kazam and convert it and let you know how well it works.

oh, I'm not sure about adding an audio track , as I didn't try to add one. I just checked and there is a tab for audio , but I'm not sure if you can add an audio file to it. I'll play around with it and see if I'm able to add one.

No need to add audio tracks, just as yankeefan says.

Capture directly from the sound card, not the microphone.

Then you play a song in your favorite audio player while capturing the desktop and it records whatever you are playing.

Just remeber that if you use a song that is copyrighted YouTube will eventually flag it.

The one I had done with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers was flagged, but You tube offered the option to change the track with some of their own music, so I did that.