Change Mode

AVG reports this yesterday --> Blackhole Exploit Kit Detection

Hi everyone, rookie on the forum, but I promise to read and write clearly and follow directions :)

Co-worker got this notification from AVG yesterday, and today I also ran the AVG rootkit scan and it picked up "IRP Hook" cannot remove object is hidden.

I would like to thoroughly analyze the computer for these issues and any other potential virus/malware.

Anyone want to walk me through it step by step? Let me know what information you want to get started!

Thanks!

-Justin

used TFC.exe to wipe temp files

used MBAM to rescan and repair selected (reported TDSS.c and JS/Obfuscated Object)

used AVG to full scan and rootkit scan one more time

used TDSS Killer (reported Rootkit.Boot.Pihar.b Harddisk0DR0)

While running TDSS killer, got an AVG pop-up warning that 2 more Blackhole exploit attempts were coming in but were blocked (type 2130 AND 1889) One said it was from greatpethealth.com/.......etc and the other from IP 91.200.176.26/....etc. I am assuming this was from some component of a trojan virus trying to reach out through svchost.exe to bring some more payload. There was even an instance of svchost.exe process using 1.5 GB of RAM!!! :D Why this wouldn't have been detected by MBAM or AVG is confusing to me. I'll be monitoring the system closely and if it gives me more trouble, I'll wipe it.