Change Mode

SUSPECT MALWARE STILL IN MY NOTEBOOK

Just a short write up on my worries. I noticed that when I used my notebook to log into my companies portal to access my emails, whenever my mouse moves over the Email and Password, a pop up appears advertising some discount and promotion. But when I access the very same portal from my office desk top, I did not encounter the same situation. Hence I can only deduce that I have probably picked up something nasty.

Incidentally, I did a scan with MalwareByte and the following log was generated:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.1.1000

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.03.11.03

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

Matt :: MATT-PC [administrator]

11/3/2012 6:42:29 PM

mbam-log-2012-03-11 (18-42-29).txt

Scan type: Full scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 304668

Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 9 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 10

HKCR\CLSID\{78F3A323-798E-4AEA-9A57-88F4B05FD5DD} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCR\TypeLib\{BB7256DD-EBA9-480B-8441-A00388C2BEC3} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{78F3A323-798E-4AEA-9A57-88F4B05FD5DD} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{78F3A323-798E-4AEA-9A57-88F4B05FD5DD} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{78F3A323-798E-4AEA-9A57-88F4B05FD5DD} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{78F3A323-798E-4AEA-9A57-88F4B05FD5DD} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCR\CLSID\{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 4

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser|{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Data: ;áÃzÊ;XA³0öm»Áµ -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar|{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Data: VShareTB -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Data: -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\{7AC3E13B-3BCA-4158-B330-F66DBB03C1B5} (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Data: -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1

C:\Program Files\vShare.tv plugin\BarLcher.dll (PUP.VShareRedir) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Even though after cleaning up the above, the said problem still exist. I am currently using Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security as my AV.

Try going to Start/Control Panel/System and Security/System...in the left pane click on System Protection highlight the "C" or "system" in the windows shown and click configure. Turn off System Protection and then click Apply. Now run Malwarebytes again and see if it finds anything. If it does, let it clean everything. Reboot and go back and turn on System Protection.

:geezer:

Ok I managed to narrow down the problem, seems like the Text Enhance was actually downloaded together with Premiumplay Codec C. Removing this programe finally got rid of the problems. But its better to be then sorry, what other measures can I take to have a indepth look into system to make sure its has been removed of any remnants of anything undesireable.

Run an online scan with ESET:

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.

ESET OnlineScan

• Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image