System Check Virus/Malware

I have been running PC Pitstop PC Matic and PC Pitstop SuperShield for a couple of months now with no problems/infections. Suddenly, yesterday, I have the System Check virus/malware/whatever on my netbook. This virus hides all your files, gives you a blank screen, continually gives you critical/fatal error messages to get you to buy their removal tool. After using my other laptop to search for information on the virus, I found out how to get the PCMatic shortcut to show up. I ran a scan of the netbook and it came back with NO MALWARE found! All the while, this virus continues to throw up error messages...right now there are 20 on my screen (I have cancelled 100s so far). I am again running a PCMatic scan, but don't think it is going to help. Can anyone tell me why PCMatic is not finding the malware and also why SuperShield didn't stop it in the first place? And finally, can anyone tell me how to get rid of System Check?

Hello and Welcome to The PIT!

I can't answer about PCMatic and SuperShield...I run them too and have had good luck. I can tell you how to get rid of the infection tho'...

Download > http://majorgeeks.co...ware_d5756.html and save it to your desktop. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.

It is possible that the infection may not let you run Malwarebytes normally, in that case reboot the PC and tap F8 while it is booting, this will take you to the boot menu, select Safe Mode and when booted to Safe Mode then run Malwarebytes. Please do post the log. ;)

:geezer:

Thanks, caintry_boy. I followed your instructions and was able to get System Check off of my system. There were still three or four System Check shortcuts that I had to delete manually. Most everything on my system is visible now, but almost all of the folders under All Programs on the Start Menu are now empty (really empty, I think, not just hidden). I have been unable to find a way to get all of the links back into the folders without doing each one manually. All of my QuickLaunch items are also gone. I do have the log and will post it as soon as I get a chance. Still wondering why SuperShield didn't prevent it and PCMatic didn't find it. Makes me nervous about future problems on the five laptops that I am trying to protect.

Well, I like the sound of that...If you want further help I want you to do this tho'...

Download > http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HijackThis.exe and save it to it's own folder on your desktop. Open the program and select to "Do a system scan and save a log". When HJT finishes the scan, the log will open in Notepad. Copy/paste the contents of the log into a new thread that you start here > http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/25-hijackthis-logs/

Please include the log from Malwarebytes first, then the HJT log. Wait for further help from one of our trusted advisors there, they are quite busy. ;)

:geezer:

Archived