Change Mode

Numerous iexplore.exe open in Task Manager

While using the Internet, each and every session, I notice my internet getting slower and slower till it gets to where nothing loads and/or freezes. I open the Task Manager and iexplore.exe will be listed 3 sometimes 4 times, using High amounts of mem usage one 1, low amounts on others. only way to get rid of them is to manually "End Process" in the task manager, and then totaly restart a web browser. If I dont manually End Process in the Task Manager, they will stay open, and A new broweser will not open at all. I bought a program called "Registry Cleaner Pro". Problem still the same. What else can I do to Rid this problem?

I.E. Version 8.0.6001.18702

Build 86001

Cipher Strength 128-bit

Content Advisor Disabled

IEAK Install No

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061

System Model DM185A-ABA a335w

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1989 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date 3.24, 10/14/2003

SMBIOS Version 2.31

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 52.32 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.20 GB

I think it always runs multiple instances, I think I would be looking elsewhere.

Have a look here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

Run a free test and post a link to the results in your reply.

I would also download and run CCleaner:

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Standard_d5125.html

and run this to look for nasties:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

Hope this helps.

And ditch the paid for registry cleaner!!

You really should double the amount of physical memory you have installed in your computer. According to HP the max allowed for yours is 1gb (2 x 512mb PC2700). I'd go for it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00045562&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=375834&sw_lang=

This may be just one part of your problem however. -kd5-

Test Results Link: http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24778117

This is from the top address bar, only place i seen with a link, if this is'nt it let me know.

I have'nt fixed anything listed in this test..How ever I did run the "CCleaner" and Found lots of problems, And also a lot of usefull options to play with.

After running the "CCleaner" i am noticing major improvements. I'll see if i can get a refund for the other program i bought. Thank You for the information on this!

Under Fixes, click the Reduce System Restore Capacity link and follow the instructions.to reduce the usage to about 1500 MB for each hard disk.

Install the NVidia display driver for your videocard. The Microsoft-supplied driver provides only minimal functionality. After the driver is installed, you can ask for settings that will give the best performance.

www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

To help the slow hard disk, install the Intel Application Accelerator.

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=4857&keyword=intel+application+accelerator&lang=eng

In addition to the NVidia FX 5200 videocard, the system has onboard graphics. Because the 5200 is more capable, it is important that it be set in BIOS as the primary display adapter, If you use just one monitor, be sure it is plugged in to the 5200, and disable onboard Intel graphics in the Device Manager. If you need help with this, just ask.

It's always sad to see a computer manufacturer use a 5400rpm hard drive when a 7200rpm drive is probably just a couple of bucks more. -kd5-

According to your test you have a 40gb 7200rpm hard drive in your computer which is contrary to what HP says was originally installed. It's good that whoever put the Seagate in there installed a 7200rpm hard drive. I still recommend doubling the memory. Updated versions of applications originally installed on your computer are assuming computers of today have considerably more memory installed, therefore they can write their applications with the freedom to use more resources thus requiring more memory consumption, so 512mb of memory doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. Back in the day I would recommend a minimum of 512mb of memory for Windows XP Home/Pro, in this day and age I recommend a minimum of 1gb for XP Home/Pro, potentially more for MCE. -kd5-

According to your test you have a 40gb 7200rpm hard drive ... It's good that whoever put the Seagate in there installed a 7200rpm hard drive

Alas, it's still slow, benching about 40 MB/s, much less in practise (of course), and dropping as the disk fills. Edited by TomGL2

After running the "CCleaner" i am noticing major improvements. I'll see if i can get a refund for the other program i bought. Thank You for the information on this!

Glad to have helped, just repeating what others have said...follow the recomended fixes in your link and get your drivers updated. The best thing you could do is install the maximum amount of RAM your motherboard can take, KD5 recommends 1gb total, that's still not going to give you a supersonic PC but at just 512mb XP is struggling to run on it's own - without running multiple processes on top!

I would also suggest running a disc defrag, either using windows own tool or my preference, Auslogics:

http://majorgeeks.com/Auslogics_Disk_Defrag_d5266.html

• 2 weeks later...