Toshiba laptop won't boot up

Hi,

I need help with my sister's laptop. She has a Toshiba Satellite C660 running on Windows 7.

The laptop when booting up suddenly brings out a black screen saying,

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..."

With two options to select:

- Launch Startup Repair

- Start Windows Normally

When I chose 'Startup Repair' the laptop goes to a 'Windows Loading Files' screen but then suddenly becomes black with just the cursor.

When choosing the 'Start Windows Normally' the laptop will keep rebooting itself. This goes the same for the 'Safe Mode & Last Good Configuration' options as well.

Is there anyway I can getting it working again without having to use the windows 7 cd? I don't have one.

Thank you in advance :)

You are going to need either an original w7 DVD or a copy from here:

http://techlogon.com/2011/08/01/download-windows-7-with-sp1-integrated/

(This is perfectly legal - Digital River)

This will allow you to run the 'Satrtup Repair' from the disc.

Make sure you grab the correct version - it will be a large download and once complete you will need to burn the .iso file to DVD.

If you need more help post back.

Do you or she have the restore disks that should have been made? My wife has a Toshiba laptop and we had to create the restore disks ourselves...

:geezer:

Truoble is not many people do it!! Every one I know just keep clicking "next" on the setup wizards and not actually understanding what they are doing - Or it says you will need 'x' amount of blank dvd's, so they just carry on. If only people realised what a lifesaver a good recovery option can be!!

Truoble is not many people do it!! Every one I know just keep clicking "next" on the setup wizards and not actually understanding what they are doing - Or it says you will need 'x' amount of blank dvd's, so they just carry on. If only people realised what a lifesaver a good recovery option can be!!

So true, and I was one initially; but, I was lucky that I am savvy enough to realize something was missing so I browsed all the Toshiba info I could find about our laptop and finally found some documentation stating that the recovery dvd's had to be created by me/us. It was in the "start" menu...

:geezer:

Do you or she have the restore disks that should have been made? My wife has a Toshiba laptop and we had to create the restore disks ourselves...

Much to my dismay, we don't :(

@nigsy - I tried to reboot from the dvd, but it did the same thing as before. The laptop just kept rebooting itself, even though I chose to reboot from cd/dvd. Please help!