Vista Security 2012 Virus

Pryde

I have a new unlisted bulletcatcher for you.

Vista Security 2012

voj.exe*32

This is another auto-installer that imitates both a firewall and anti-virus at the same time. It kills most processes including browsers, but doesn't kill already-existing open programs. It also doesn't kill the Task Manager.

Using the TM, I located and deleted the voj.exe file and terminated its process tree. Now none of my existing browsers will run except Internet Explorer, which I had to re-route. Of note is that terminating the exe process by itself was of little help; it would restart on trying to open a browser window.

I encountered the virus while hunting for face sets for RPG Maker VX at or around here: http://rmvx-resource-makers.deviantart.com/

What would be the most effective method of killing this virus?

Download Malwarebytes > http://majorgeeks.co...ware_d5756.html and save it to your desktop. Run it like this:

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.

About your Browsers...Open Connections in IE (Tools/Internet Options/Connections) and go to LAN Settings and be sure it has "Automatically detect settings" checked. In Firefox it's Options/Advanced/Network/Connection Settings and make sure that "No Proxy" is checked.

:geezer:

Is there a way to fix the registry without running a program directly on my computer? It no longer recognizes .exe files! System Restore is denied access; at this point I'm just hoping I'm allowed to return the computer to factory settings.

I had already tried everything in Safe Mode before posting. Fortunately I was able to backup everything and Factory Reset worked fine. It cost me several hours but nothing else.

This one is devatstating to your registry, but in the end all it will really cost you is time. Thanks for the advice just the same! Is a fully automated site-based registry repair tool even possible?

Archived