Change Mode

How To Download To Disk (D) & Transfer From Disk (C)?

I had 80% of my space used up on my © Drive. I just did some clean up and deleteing and now have 46.31% free space. I would like to improve on getting more free space,but, I have nothing else to delete. How do I move or transfer items from my © Drive to my (D) Drive so I can gain more space. It seems that nothing is ever loaded to my (D) Drive, or very little. My (D) Drive has 96.28% free space. I would like to move things like my pictures, games and music to the (D) Drive if it is feasible. The following is my system:

System OS = Windows XP Home SP3

System OS Install Date = 5/30/2003

System Make = Sony Corporation

System Model = PCV-RZ24G(UC)

Processor = Intel Pentium4

Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440

Memory Installed = 512 MBs

Memory Slots = 3 slots

Memory Configuration = 512; DIMM DRAM Synchronous

Drive Name © = Local Disk

Drive Size © = 56870 MBs

Drive Format © = NTFS

Drive Name (D) Size = 57600 MBs

Drive Format (D) = NTFS

Local Disk © = 55.54 GB - Total Space

29.82 GB - Used

25.72 GB - Free ........................46.31% Free Space

Disk (D) = 56.25 GB - Total Space

2.09 GB - Used

54.16 GB - Free .........................96.28% Free Space

Also, I am sure there is a way to have some things that I download from the internet to be directed and placed on my (D) Drive and not the © Drive. ANY HELP OUT THERE ??

Pictures and music and such can be "cut and pasted" over to the "D" drive. Programs can't be done, however you can reinstall programs and in the install menu select to have them put on "D"...for instance, when you get here:

Posted Image < click me

select "Browse" and choose where on "D" you want to put it...

When downloading things you also have the option to have them saved to "D". ;)

:geezer:

It was suggested that pictures and other files can be cut/pasted to another drive. Although that is true, a more elegant solution is to move the My Documents folder using the Move function Windows provides.

On the D drive, create a new folder named Documents. Open that folder and create another folder, renaming it to your account name (you may make a similar folder for each user account). Click Start, right-click Documents, and click Properties. Click Move. Expand My Computer, expand the D drive, expand the Documents folder, click your user-named folder, and click OK. Click OK and Yes to complete the process. For any "Confirm file move" dialogs, click Yes to All.

All your files and folders will be transferred to the new location. More than that, however — opening My Documents from the Start menu or Explorer opens D:Documents[your account name] – new files, pictures, etc,, saved or downloaded to the usual folders are automatically placed in D:Documents[your account name], D:Documents[your account name]My Pictures, etc., with no special actions on your part.

It's also possible to relocate the Shared Documents folder, but an automated method is not available.

Edited by TomGL2
  • 1 month later...