Potential Recurring Issue or HD

#FNK-346811

Hello,

The fine folks at PC Pit Stop assisted me with a virus issue back in November. Although the virus problems disappeared for the most part, little things such as 'freezing' continue to occur.

Most recently, the computer 'froze', I rebooted, and now a dark screen appears with the message that there is no '...System32/...press 'r' on the next screen...(and) input disc...' etc. I have tried both in normal and safe mode, but am unable to go any further.

Is there a solution? Please advise.

Kind regards

Hello,

After reading some of the posts, it would appear that there may be a downloadable program to assist me in repairing my Dell Inspiron 1525 Windows XP. I noticed a process for Windows 7, but have not located an XP one.

I am assuming that the previous virus issue may have corrupted the system. My previous logs for the virus removal are at the link below: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/197279-hjt-log-per-potential-virus-issue/

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Please download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

and save it to your desktop

Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.

Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left

Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).

Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run

Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad

Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply

Hello Jacee,

Thank you for your reply.

In order for me to log-on, I would need to be able to access a prompt, etc. I am unable to do so at this time. A dark (dos) screen opens with c/windows/sysem32 exe...etc. (as an issue). The asks for a CD or to press 'r'. Once I press 'r' the system does a mobius on me.

Could you please offer an alternative? Please let me know if you need clarification from my laptop.

Kind regards

Do you have the Dell recovery cd? If so just pop it in the cd/dvd drive and reboot then commence just like you were going to install Windows, but after the F8 acceptance of the Microsoft EULA Windows will scan for other Operating Systems and tell you that Windows is already installed, then offer to let you "repair" it by pressing "r". Press "r" and let it run but DO NOT let it format the drive. This will replace only Windows files and all your programs, etc will be intact. Here's a link:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/189400897

:geezer:

• 1 month later...

Hello Caintry and Jacee,

Ended-up installing Windows 7. Worked perfectly for a month. Still seem to have a touch of the 'flu' in the system. Two or three excell files will not open -- and the issue is with a couple of related folders. Wonder if the bug was transferred somehow?

Anyway, attempted to run the 'malware' program as suggested by Jacee. However, program will not compute.

Could another suggestion be offered please?

Best regards

I know that Win 7 will install just fine without using the SATA/RAID driver install, but have you installed the SATA/RAID driver since installing or did you do it at install??

Install should go like this... > Install Windows, install Direct X, install Chipset driver for motherboard and then insatll all other necessary drivers i.e. audio, lan, video, etc...

Go to Hardware and Sound/Device Manager...does everything look o.k.? Are there any devices with a yellow triangle and !?

:geezer:

Hello Caintry,

The '7' was installed by a professional and will contact him on Tuesday re: 'SATA/RAID' driver since i am unfamiliar. Am looking at the Hardware/Sound Manager page and do not see any yellow triangles....however, the yelowl-tri-exclam thingy has been showing up frequently on the internet access icon in the tray.

Thanks

Hello Caintry,

Processed the 'Start/control...etc'. Under "Custom Views/Admin Events" there are 2,585 events. Most are 'Error' or 'Warning'. The first set are related to 'bonjour service'. This information dates back to 1/11/12 -- the date '7' was installed.

The remainder are 'atapi' and 'DNS', with another majority-remainder coming from 'Bonjour'. Under 'Windows Logs -- Apllications', pretty much the same (error/warning) as above. No error or warnings under Security, Setup, System, or Forwarded Events.

Is this the date you are seeking?

Best regards

Hello C,

Three (3) Samples provided below. Thanks for your review:

SAMPLE 1

Log Name: Application

Source: Bonjour Service

Date: 22/02/2012 8:53:17 AM

Event ID: 100

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: USER-PC

Description:

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 4446

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Bonjour Service" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">100</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-22T13:53:17.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>5053</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>USER-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 4446</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

-------------------------------------

SAMPLE 2

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client

Date: 22/02/2012 9:56:12 AM

Event ID: 1014

Level: Warning

Keywords:

User: NETWORK SERVICE

Computer: User-PC

Description:

Name resolution for the name isatap.gateway.2wire.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}" />

<EventID>1014</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-22T14:56:12.514229600Z" />

<EventRecordID>17287</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1444" ThreadID="4152" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>User-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="QueryName">isatap.gateway.2wire.net</Data>

<Data Name="AddressLength">16</Data>

<Data Name="Address">02000035C0A802010000000000000000</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

---------------------------------------------------

SAMPLE 3

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL

Date: 21/02/2012 7:06:32 PM

Event ID: 12

Level: Error

Keywords: (1)

User: N/A

Computer: User-PC

Description:

The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HAL" Guid="{63D1E632-95CC-4443-9312-AF927761D52A}" />

<EventID>12</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-22T00:06:32.721824800Z" />

<EventRecordID>17221</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="4724" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>User-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="Count">1</Data>

<Data Name="FirstPage">63</Data>

<Data Name="LastPage">63</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

To Note: Have since, uninstalled 'Bonjour'...maybe should also uninstall 'Apple Application Support' and 'Apple Mobile Device Support'? All three programs are a result of installing 'Itunes'. Itunes and the Bell modem appear to have an effect on the computer.

Thanks

Archived