Sign in to follow this  
hadleycat

.EXE Bad Image errors. Constantly..

Hi. I sure hope you can help. I'm at my wits end. I am continuously getting "bad image" errors. When I start up my computer I get half a dozen, at least. And then every program I try to open prompts an error. I have tried to keep notes on their names...a couple of examples are

"rundll32.exe, notepad.exe, dwwin.exe and dumprep.exe" the rest of the message says "The application or DLL C;\windows\system32\halres.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check against your installation diskette.

I have an emachines and am running XP. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

T

Mornin' hadleycat and Welcome to The PIT!! Lets start with the preliminary stuff...download > http://majorgeeks.co...ware_d5756.html and save it to your desktop. Run the program in this fashion:

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform complete scan, then click Scan. When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and copy/paste the results in your next post.

:geezer:

Good Morning to You! Thank you very much for helping. It took over 2 hours to complete the scan...lol. But here it is

I don't pretend to know what I'm doing at all, however, I have run one of these scans in the past and while it wasn't the "full" scan, it was the quick one, it picked up 34 infections, but cleaning them did nothing to stop my Bad Image errors. I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but again. I appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2011.12.29.03

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Owner :: YOUR-97E01E8086 [administrator]

12/29/2011 9:05:50 AM

mbam-log-2011-12-29 (09-05-50).txt

Scan type: Full scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra |

Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 228151

Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 26 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

also, and I don't know what this means either, but if I try to open Task Manager to close out programs which have froze ( happens quite often) there will sometimes be anywhere from half a dozen or more instances of Task Manager there.

Thanks

O.K. well, that was "fruitful" ... :rolleyes:

Lets try this > Download HJT > http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HijackThis.exe

Save it to it's own folder on your desktop. Open the program and select to "Do a system scan and save a log". Do Not Have HJT Fix Anything! When the scan finishes the log will open in Notepad, copy/paste the contents of the HJT log along with your Malwarebytes log into a new thread that you start here > http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/25-hijackthis-logs/

Wait for help there from one of our Trusted Advisors, they are quite busy and it's the "holidays"...

:geezer: