Can't load web pages after downgrading to XP from Vista

I'm not very tech-savvy, so forgive me if this is a simple problem to solve.

I recently downgraded my laptop (a Compaq Presario CQ50-103NR) from Vista to XP, and after my roommate helped me install new Sound Drivers, it decided to stop loading web pages. I can still receive and connect to wifi signals, so I don't know if it's a Wireless Driver problem. I've tried looking for Wireless Drivers, but I have no idea how to find the right ones. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your time and help in advance.

In XP go to Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and locate the wireless device. Is there a yellow triangle with exclamation point?

Download these drivers and save in a safe place:

Broadcom driver > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-81554-1&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3752663&sw_lang=

Atheros driver > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-62508-1&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3752663&sw_lang=

I'd uninstall the wireless device by right clicking and selecting "Uninstall", then load whichever driver above applies to your WIFI. Reboot. Can you load pages now?

:geezer:

The only device that had an exclamation point was an unknown device listed under other devices...

Unfortunately, I can't get either of those drivers to run because they're for Vista, and they are not compatible with XP.

Also, I don't have any wireless devices listed in the Device Manager. Which is probably a problem in itself.