Sign in to follow this  
MrHappyGoLucky12

External Hard Drive Won't Connect

I have an external hard drive that has worked for years. When I plug it in on my Windows 7 computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. It will recognize other external hard drives. I tried it on my Ubuntu computer, and had no luck there either.

The data on it is backed up on another drive, so I'm looking for ways to either get it working or find a way to reformat it. I can't get it to appear with my partition software at boot-up.

does it receive power? i'm not familiar with that model, but i'm guessing it has a power led on it.

Yep, it's lit up! And you can hear it still spinning if you listen closely.

Are there any programs out there that would assist me in formatting it if Windows won't?

Visit support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=404&sid=3&lang=en to obtain the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility. You should try substituting another USB cable.

If the diagnostic can't find the drive, then the onboard USB controller may be dead. You may be able to remove the hard disk's data cable and attach it to a free PATA connector; or, if SATA, to a free SATA port. If Windows doesn't see the hard disk, its logic board may have failed.

@TomGL2 Thanks for the tips!

The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility did not recognize this external hard drive. It did recognize my other two WD hard drives, so it can't be the on-board USB controller, right?

Windows does see it as an "Unknown Device." See attached screenshots.

By the way, this is a laptop.

Thanks for any other ideas you can suggest.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/447/47150039.png

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4023/99125312.png

Edited by MrHappyGoLucky12

If the diagnostic can't find the drive, then the onboard USB controller may be dead

The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility did not recognize this external hard drive. It did recognize my other two WD hard drives, so it can't be the on-board USB controller, right?

Sorry, my earlier statement was ambiguous. I should have said "The USB controller in the

WD1200B008 may be dead."