Change Mode

Do I have a Virus or a Windows Problem?

My computer can no longer detect and load into Windows Explorer my USB external hard drives (3 different manufacturers) when I insert the USB cables but can detect my USB flash drives (same manufacturer).

These drives have lots of video footage and photographs I have shot. I use them all at this time of year each year and really need to be able to insert and remove them regularly over the next month. Really bad timing for this problem.

The safely remove hardware icon appears on the taskbar but the drive does not appear in Windows Explorer. When I press the safely remove hardware button the safely remove hardware dialog box does not load (at one point it was loading but no drive was listed). Eventually the system freezes and programs (any running) stop responding.

They drives are visible in Windows Explorer when loaded in safe mode. Does that mean the Windows filed running the USB ports are not corrupt?

My antiviral software is up to date and says my system is clean and so does Microsoft System Sweeper.

I did get a couple of trojans recently maybe names like ?Java/Agent DU and Java/Agent U... (letters were U or DU or DP I believe)

System was cleaned and says it is clean today.

Uninstalling all the USB stuff in device manager did not help.

I cannot figure out if this is a Virus problem or Windows problem.

The hard drives connect normally on my sister's computer so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

Thank you for any help,

Samantha

Howdy SamLovesChocolate and Welcome to The PIT!!

Lets see if there are any traces of viruses left...

Download http://majorgeeks.co...ware_d5756.html and save it to your desktop. Run it like this:

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.

:xmas_laugh:

If you're at all familiar with the Registry, open the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

If an UpperFilters or LowerFilters value exists (or both), rename them, e.g., to "#UpperFilters".