Sign in to follow this  
unreal2K3geek

Internet Connectivity

Good day all,

I really could use some help as I am stumped. Long story short I believe I had a nasty virus on my computer - running Windows XP Home SP3 - I cleared this virus as all my scans now (Adaware Pro/SpyBot/AntiVir) show nothing. BUT for some reason since I cleared this thing my internet connection (cable) will NOT hook up as it is says it is aquiring the IP address. I had called my ISP and the tech had me run a few things - ipconfig - which shows IP address as : 00.00.00.000. She had me run a reset command (cannot for the life remember what it was) and it said reset and will take effect on restart but did not - same result - aquiring IP address.. boo!!

I have tried using the System Restore but with no dice... please does anyone have any advice than say wiping the drive? :goodnight:

ANY help would be appreciated!!

For starters, check to see that the "use proxy server" is not checked. Some viruses and malware like to change this setting. To do that right click your Internet explorer icon, select properties. Click the connections tab on the next window that opens. At the bottom, click the LAN settings button. Make sure there is a checkmark in "Automatically detect settings and no check mark under the Proxy server. If you have to change one, exit out and click apply-ok. Next click on the start button and select run and type in the box "CMD" without the quotes and click ok. In the black box at the blinking curser type "ipconfig /release" without the quotes and hit enter. Then type in "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes and hit enter. Both these commands have a space between config and the / . After doing this check your internet. Hopefully that is all you need to do.

Thanks guys but with both your ideas - no dice! Dang it!! When I tried the /release:

IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection 3 has already been released.

And so when I tried the /renew:

An error occured while remewinginterface Local Area Connection 3 : The RPC server is unavailable.

:IG:

I also ran the flush.bat file - it did what it was supposed to do but again with the same results - my connection Icon :

Local Area Connection 3

Speed 100 Mbps

ipconfig shows me:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix : cgocable.net

IP Address : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0

Default gateway :

Am I pretty much screwed here? I will take any/all suggestions!!!

:pullhair:

try to cycle your modem and router (un-plug them for a minute and plug them back in) and reboot your pc. Look in the Device Manager and in the Network Adapters check to see if there are any errors

Thanks Joe C but I have tried both of those suggestions - I actually cannot completely unplug my modem as it is a multi-function one - we get our phone and internet through the same connection - so the modem has a battery pack that is good for something like 19 hours with no power service - so the best I could do was reboot it with the button on the back. And I have tried restarting serveral times with the same result - Aquiring IP address... :surrender:

May be a long-shot, but boot that puppy into Safe Mode with Networking and see if there is any difference. If there is and you can successfully connect, then the perpetrator most likely is a software issue and the first one I would suspect in such a scenario would be whatever anti-virus/firewall protection being used.

If the Safe Mode experiment doesn't work, then uninstall your network adapter through Device Manager.

Reboot the rig and then re-install the drivers for the network adapter. (Make sure you've got the latest drivers for your adapter at the ready) ;)

Let us know if there is any change or new clues develop.

:) Y

OK guys here is what I did - tried starting in Safe Mode but again no connectivity so it has to be a hardware or related problem. Restarted and then did as Y kawika suggested - removed all devices - have a couple since my mobo - A8N-SLI Premuim has two ports in the back. Got it to resign and all but when I plug the cord in the back it shows connected but with NO activity. When I try ipconfig it just goes to Windows IP Config with NO info as far as connections at all.. so I even went as far as bypassing the onboard ethernet with a pci one - again does the same thing - shows a RED light instead of green but still says "connected" under the Network Connections.. halp!! :surrender:

How is the connection train set up for you?

Are you connected directly into the modem or do you have a router in-between?

If it is a router, which router do you have?

If you are using a router, make sure that the cable from the modem going to the router is in the WAN port and then the cable from your computer into a LAN port.

What was the infection?

If you have a 'clean' flashdrive, download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

and save it to your desktop

Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.

Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left

Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).

Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run

Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad

Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply

try updating your chipset for your motherboard

How is the connection train set up for you?

Are you connected directly into the modem or do you have a router in-between?

If it is a router, which router do you have?

If you are using a router, make sure that the cable from the modem going to the router is in the WAN port and then the cable from your computer into a LAN port.

My setup is - I am directly connected to the internet via a combo modem - it is both for my phone and internet - no router inbetween. It has a battery pack so I cannot really unplug but reset it - it has a 18-19 HR life to it. It is weird as I have been switching between my laptop and PC (as I can connect via wireless router to my laptop) and it gets a signal no problem. For some weird reason it has been fighting on recognizing either the built in LAN or the pci one..

What was the infection?

If you have a 'clean' flashdrive, download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe

and save it to your desktop

Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.

Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left

Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).

Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run

Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad

Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply

I will do that tomorrow and give you guys that update. I have to go and get a new flash drive anyway as my old one pooped out

It is weird as I have been switching between my laptop and PC (as I can connect via wireless router to my laptop) and it gets a signal no problem.

Where is this wireless router and is it plugged into the cable modem?

Can you hard wire your PC into the wireless router?

if you can/able to try another router....or disable your wireless drivers and hardwire the computer without the wireless router.....see if that works

The bottom of your modem has a door that slides open to access the battery, you should be able to remove it.

Have you tried to use LSP Fix yet?

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

LSP-Fix is a free Windows utility to repair a loss of Internet access associated with certain types of software. This type of software, known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, typically handles low-level Internet-related tasks, and data is passed through a chain of these programs on its way to and from the Internet. However, due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, causing the Internet connection to become inaccessible.

Edited by Joe C

Open the Device Manager and locate the network adapter, then right-click the adapter and click Remove.

Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlNetwork{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The right pane should contain the value "Network Adapters". Do NOT delete this key. Click Edit and Find, type Local Area Connection in the text box, select the Data checkbox only, and click Find Next..

If the Name entry in the right pane equals "Local Area Connection", with or without an added number, delete the parent (that is, the container one level up) of the Connection key.

Press F3 to search for the another instance. If the next item found is not within a Connection subkey of {4D36E972-E325..., or nothing further is found, you have finished the search. Otherwise, delete the parent of the Connection key and search again.

When done, restart the computer and log on to any account with administrator's right to ensure a correct reinstallation of the network adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: What is the make and exact model of the router or the cable modem (whatever the computer is directly connected)?

Edited by TomGL2

What was the infection? If you have a 'clean' flashdrive, download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe and save it to your desktop Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt. Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP). Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply

Here are the results:

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English

Report run at 22/11/2011 4:48:15 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Application' Log - error Type

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2011 5:14:07 PM

Type: error Category: 0

Event: 1000 Source: Application Error

Faulting application mstmon_y.exe, version 1.1.118.0, faulting module mstmon_y.exe, version 1.1.118.0, fault address 0x00014edd.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:09:42 AM

Faulting application mstmon_y.exe, version 1.1.118.0, faulting module mstmon_y.exe, version 1.1.118.0, fault address 0x00014edd.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:39:09 PM

Event: 0 Source: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service

The event description cannot be found.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:02:32 PM

Event: 1012 Source: Windows Product Activation

Due to hardware changes on this computer, you will need to reactivate your Windows product.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 12:21:14 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 18/11/2011 4:03:32 PM

Type: error Category: 50

Event: 4609 Source: EventSystem

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:comxp_sp3comcom1xsrceventstier1eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 18/11/2011 4:03:13 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2011 7:39:33 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/11/2011 4:02:57 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/11/2011 6:05:00 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2011 6:44:12 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2011 4:28:43 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2011 6:22:30 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2011 5:27:38 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2011 8:52:53 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2011 6:53:17 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2011 6:10:10 PM

Type: error Category: 101

Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang

Hanging application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2011 5:41:39 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2011 5:39:58 PM

Event: 8 Source: crypt32

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2011 5:39:52 PM

Event: 8 Source: crypt32

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

'Application' Log - warning Type

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2011 7:29:47 PM

Type: warning Category: 0

Event: 1005 Source: Windows Product Activation

Your Windows product has not been activated with Microsoft yet. Please use the Product Activation Wizard within 1 days.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 7:29:47 PM

Your Windows product has not been activated with Microsoft yet. Please use the Product Activation Wizard within 2 days.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:03:28 PM

Your Windows product has not been activated with Microsoft yet. Please use the Product Activation Wizard within 3 days.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 18/11/2011 7:16:22 PM

Event: 63 Source: WinMgmt

A provider, NPU Management Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, rootnVIDIANS_Eth_HOT, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

A provider, NPU Management Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, rootnVIDIANS_Eth_HOT, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

A provider, NPU Management Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, rootnVIDIANS_Firewall, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

A provider, NPU Management Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, rootnVIDIANS_Firewall, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 18/11/2011 7:16:12 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 18/11/2011 7:16:11 PM

'System' Log - error Type

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/11/2011 5:47:25 AM

Type: error Category: 6

Event: 16 Source: Windows Update Agent

Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:27:50 AM

Event: 7003 Source: Service Control Manager

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the following nonexistent service: NetBT

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:27:50 AM

The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: NetBT

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:22:06 AM

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the following nonexistent service: NetBT

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:22:06 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:12:39 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:12:39 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 8:09:56 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 8:09:56 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:59:50 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:59:50 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:51:26 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:51:26 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:38:36 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:38:36 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:06:57 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:06:57 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:02:35 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:02:35 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 12:20:33 PM

'System' Log - warning Type

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 22/11/2011 3:42:17 PM

Type: warning Category: 2

Event: 57 Source: Ftdisk

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/11/2011 1:07:01 AM

Event: 36 Source: W32Time

The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 9:49:09 AM

The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:36:29 PM

Event: 3 Source: Print

Printer KONICA MINOLTA PagePro 1400W was deleted.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:30:37 PM

Event: 257 Source: PlugPlayManager

Timed out sending notification of target device change to window of "CtHelper"

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:13:34 PM

Event: 20 Source: Print

Printer Driver KONICA MINOLTA PagePro 1400W for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- MIMFN5_Y.DLL, MNT5UI_Y.DLL, MSDMLT_Y.SDD, MSDMLT_Y.HLP, MCMM___Y.DLL, MDDM32_Y.DLL, MDDMUI_Y.DLL, MGDI32_Y.DLL, MICM___Y.DLL, MIMF32_Y.DLL, MIMFPR_Y.DLL, MLTSRV_Y.DLL, MQDPRT_Y.DLL, MSD32__Y.DLL, MSDIMF_Y.DLL, MSDMLT_Y.CNT, MSDMLT_Y.DLL, MSPL32_Y.EXE, MSPOOL_Y.DLL, MSR32__Y.DLL, MSUMLT_Y.DLL, MSUMLT_Y.INI, MTAG32_Y.DLL, MUINST_Y.EXE, MUNZ___Y.UNM, MGUID1_Y.PRN, MGUID2_Y.PRN.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:11:25 PM

Event: 3 Source: Print

Printer KONICA MINOLTA PagePro 1400W (Copy 1) was deleted.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:11:22 PM

Event: 4 Source: Print

Printer KONICA MINOLTA PagePro 1400W (Copy 1) is pending deletion.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:11:14 PM

Event: 4 Source: Print

Printer KONICA MINOLTA PagePro 1400W is pending deletion.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 6:02:59 PM

Event: 20 Source: Print

Printer Driver KONICA MINOLTA PagePro 1400W for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- MIMFN5_Y.DLL, MNT5UI_Y.DLL, MSDMLT_Y.SDD, MSDMLT_Y.HLP, MCMM___Y.DLL, MDDM32_Y.DLL, MDDMUI_Y.DLL, MGDI32_Y.DLL, MICM___Y.DLL, MIMF32_Y.DLL, MIMFPR_Y.DLL, MLTSRV_Y.DLL, MQDPRT_Y.DLL, MSD32__Y.DLL, MSDIMF_Y.DLL, MSDMLT_Y.CNT, MSDMLT_Y.DLL, MSPL32_Y.EXE, MSPOOL_Y.DLL, MSR32__Y.DLL, MSUMLT_Y.DLL, MSUMLT_Y.INI, MTAG32_Y.DLL, MUINST_Y.EXE, MUNZ___Y.UNM, MGUID1_Y.PRN, MGUID2_Y.PRN.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 8:57:25 AM

Open the Device Manager and locate the network adapter, then right-click the adapter and click Remove.

Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlNetwork{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The right pane should contain the value "Network Adapters". Do NOT delete this key. Click Edit and Find, type Local Area Connection in the text box, select the Data checkbox only, and click Find Next..

If the Name entry in the right pane equals "Local Area Connection", with or without an added number, delete the parent (that is, the container one level up) of the Connection key.

Press F3 to search for the another instance. If the next item found is not within a Connection subkey of {4D36E972-E325..., or nothing further is found, you have finished the search. Otherwise, delete the parent of the Connection key and search again.

When done, restart the computer and log on to any account with administrator's right to ensure a correct reinstallation of the network adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: What is the make and exact model of the router or the cable modem (whatever the computer is directly connected)?

Tried that one and think I got it right.. but the system automatically reinstalls the devices... and tried unplugging and pulling the battery from by modem.. still no success... so I think I have to do a wipe and reinstall of everything?

This may be a long shot but look in "services" and see if the "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC), "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC) Locator, and "Server" services are running. If not, right click the service and start it or restart them then reboot the computer.

This may be a long shot but look in "services" and see if the "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC), "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC) Locator, and "Server" services are running. If not, right click the service and start it or restart them then reboot the computer.

Hmmm the Locator service was NOT running.. got it running and on Automatic... still not really solving.. but is there a certain setting under Log In or no?

Tried that.. no luck. Did pretty much everything on that link.. my boot.ini is pooched and thus won't seem to let me reset it.. I think I am boned.. :xmas-smiley-014: