Change Mode

Planned changes to "Big Advanced" (BA) projects, effective Jan

Well, it kind of makes my i7 purchases a waste of money, especially the 980X. I'm really glad I never gave in to the urge to buy a 2600K. I can still get 15-20K each with SMP (instead of the 50-80K with -bigadv), but in hindsight more GPUs on cheap dual core systems might have been a better buy.

I'm not a terribly happy camper, but I'll live. I had played with the idea of building a server over the last few years. I may still go that way in the future. I see AMD came out with a 16 core Opteron last week....

What BPINC team are you with?

Hey Uncle Fuzzy...which team and what do they run for??

:xmas_laugh:

What is this BPINC of which you speak? jk

I'm not advertising, just answering questions. I'm on FAH "Team Elder Scrolls", but I'm not doing BOINC. We started on Planet Elder Scrolls with a bunch of people who played Morrowind. The team thread has since migrated to the Bethesda forums (makers of the Elder Scrolls series). A guy posted in the folding thread about running BOINC. With a Moderator (former folder) we got him his own thread (still floating, not pinned like mine). They also use the name Team Elder Scrolls to stay connected with the forum.

Thread- http://forums.bethso...rolls-on-boinc/

Latest update- http://forums.bethso...st__p__19394629

There are stat links in there that should give a list of which projects they're running.

Edited by uncle fuzzy

So..........after following this thread is there enough of us that would start a BOINC Pit team after things like the GPU2 client is no longer viable? Otherwise the hardware really becomes just a paper weight. You thoughts please. :shrug:

personally i think i'll stay with fah just because i think that's where the work is most likely to bring results that will benefit everyone, but then again next year if the hardware isn't up to fah then yes i'm more than happy to use it on a bionic pit team.

i've already stopped folding bigadv and just folding normal smp on this i7 because i've changed my home setup trying to cut the cost of my bills for now, so this i7 won't be running 24/7 and therefore won't be able to complete a bigadv if i got one.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

personally i think i'll stay with fah just because i think that's where the work is most likely to bring results that will benefit everyone, but then again next year if the hardware isn't up to fah then yes i'm more than happy to use it on a bionic pit team.

i've already stopped folding bigadv and just folding normal smp on this i7 because i've changed my home setup trying to cut the cost of my bills for now, so this i7 won't be running 24/7 and therefore won't be able to complete a bigadv if i got one.

Terry,

Now I don't have an i7 so if I don't run the smp client 24/7 it won't complete on time anyway.

there are still other wu's (not smp) that you can complete on time, but of course if you think your hardware just isn't up to completing any fah wu's on time (for the time your pc is used) or those wu's are just not of enough benefit to fah for the cost to you in running them then certainly i'd immediately start using my hardware on a pit(or any) bionic team if that's where i thought my hardware would be of most benefit to others for the cost to me.

like i said earlier, next year i may well be on a pit bionic team but for now i think i'll stay with fah because that's where i think i can do most good with my hardware for the costs. :tup:

Edited by terry1966

I don't intend to abandon [email protected] until it abandons me and makes my equipment obsolete. I still believe in the cause, but feel we the little guys with less than top of the line pc's are being overlooked. Should it get to the point where I feel [email protected] ignores us I will be happy to switch to BONC as a pit team member. :tup:

Hey big guy...which 3 cards? I thought you were running GPU3 on most?

:xmas_laugh:

I have a 450 and 460 nut am expecting a pair of 260's and was gonna sub one for teh 450 and one for the 9800gtx+

CB ,

You can't run GPU 3 on non Fermi cards the 260's and 9800 he is talking about are not Fermi cards. So anyway you look at it he is down from 4 cards to 2 the 450 and 460. BTW I really hate your avator in your sig.

CB ,

You can't run GPU 3 on non Fermi cards the 260's and 9800 he is talking about are not Fermi cards. So anyway you look at it he is down from 4 cards to 2 the 450 and 460. BTW I really hate your avator in your sig.

Sorry, but that is wrong.

You have to have GPU3 to run Fermi, you do not have to have Fermi to run GPU3.

I've been running GPU3 on all NV from 8800 up since it came out. You can also run 8800 and up on V7. I think the only cards that can't use GPU3 are ATI 2xxx-3xxx or 2xxx-4xxx.