Change Mode

A couple of weeks ago I was having trouble with google redirecting to other websites instead of the sites it was suppose to take me to. I didn't have a chance at the time to do a HJT log and when I went back to do that it won't let the computer boot up. It takes me to a screen with 2 choices, to either start windows normally (which puts me in and endless loop) or to let windows try and repair the problems (which also gets me nowhere). I have heard people in the past talk about booting into "safe mode" in order to get rid of viruses, is this a possibility and if so how do I do that. This is my fiance's laptop and of course it has a bunch of pictures on it that have not been backed up :-/. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

As the computer is booting, tap the "F8" key at the top of your keyboard.

When the list of choices is presented, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate, then hit the Enter key to select "SafeMode".

Once in SafeMode, delete your temp files, cookies and Temporary Internet Files, then run any scans that you are able ~ Anti-virus and/or Anti-Malware.

:) Y

If the Repair option isn't functioning properly, perhaps a restore will help.

Go back to the Menu through F8, but this time, choose "Last Known Good Configuration"

~ Won't hurt.

that took me back to the same windows repair screen with no luck, it still says windows can't fix the problem. i tried booting into safe mode after windows tried to repair the computer and it still won't let me into safe mode. do you have any other things i can try? thank you so much for your help so far.

I assume that this is a Windows 7 lappy and not Vista.......... yes?

If so, on another computer, you can download and create a System Recovery Disc.

Read about Jacee's post here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/179673-download-windows-7-system-recovery-discs/

You can run the Repair, but you'll be doing it from outside of Windows. I've had better luck with these repairs off of the discs than from within Windows itself.