Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

The Cloud

Every where you look today everything is going to the "cloud" Personally I do not like all this cloud crap, and I do not think people should putting so much of their lives in to this cloud. Carbonite is being accused of selling out email addys. They are violating their own agreement but what's in an agreement anyway?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19197/has_carbonite_had_a_privacy_breach_im_getting_spam

Should company's that violate their own agreements be held accountable legally?

discuss

a company does not have to host stuff in the "cloud" to violate privacy agreements.

is the aim of this thread to discuss cloud computing or end-user agreements?

I did not think it was a difficult question bb

Should company's that violate their own agreements be held accountable legally?

Carbonite is an example, and now that cloud computing is becoming ever so popular, people are putting their trust into business's that may or may not be ethical or creditable, this cloud stuff is kinda virtual in the way that you do not know where or actually see cloud business in a physical sense.

i understand "people are putting their trust into business's that may or may not be ethical or creditable", i'm just wondering how you are making the assumption that companies that provide services in the cloud are more unethical or credible than any other company? i ask because no matter what kind of service the company provides, it may be unethical or unreliable.

if you are asking the question whether cloud services companies are any more or less credible than companies from other services, then the answer is not that i'm aware of.

any company is capable of violating agreements, regardless of the service they provide.

I'll ask again but phrase it in another way....

Do you think corporations that violate their service agreements with their clients should be held liable with legal ramifications?

they are legally liable if they break the agreement, the only trouble is that they put clauses into them, such as they can change the terms and conditions without giving any notice, therefore they can never break an agreement. :D

:b33r:

Carbonite told it's users that they would not give out email address's but they did anyway. Should Carbonite be held legally responsible for it's actions?

I agree there should be but there's nothing to prevent this

although it it very unethical, there's nothing to stop companies like Carbonite from doing this. Why do we put up with this type of action from corporations like Carbonite?

Will contacting our representatives/congresspersons and biotchin at them make any changes?

civil court

The Cloud???

virtual company "on line". You might need to hire a third party to find them, drag them to court because they gave out your email addy?

Edited by Joe C

I agree there should be but there's nothing to prevent this

although it it very unethical, there's nothing to stop companies like Carbonite from doing this. Why do we put up with this type of action from corporations like Carbonite?

Will contacting our representatives/congresspersons and biotchin at them make any changes?

Deregulation baby!!!!!!!!! Give the ones with money immunity from the laws, and lock up the guy who pitched a tent in a city park :rofl3:

Welcome to America!

Sarcasm aside I think all this CLOUD gibberish is comical, like it is some new concept or something. Online services, data storage, email, and everything else has been hosted on remote servers since the beginning of computers. In fact it has been and always will be around. The simple fact that some marketing bozo renamed online services to the CLOUD and idiots fall for it hook line and sinker is more disturbing then the contract agreements they blindly enter into will ever be.

Caveat Emptor

Deregulation baby!!!!!!!!! Give the ones with money immunity from the laws, and lock up the guy who pitched a tent in a city park :rofl3:

Welcome to America!

Sarcasm aside I think all this CLOUD gibberish is comical, like it is some new concept or something. Online services, data storage, email, and everything else has been hosted on remote servers since the beginning of computers. In fact it has been and always will be around. The simple fact that some marketing bozo renamed online services to the CLOUD and idiots fall for it hook line and sinker is more disturbing then the contract agreements they blindly enter into will ever be.

Caveat Emptor

the problem isn't so much the online services that have always been on the "cloud" the problem i'd say is more to do with the firms that held your private date on secure internal systems are now storing it on servers not controlled by them/isolated from the internet.

i can't do a thing about where my records are stored, bank/health records etc. but personally i wouldn't store any of my own private files on the cloud, and i'd certainly never use it as a safe backup medium. :rofl3:

:b33r:

everyone is sue happy about the pettiest of things. i certainly wouldnt sue cause my email was given away. anyone ignorant enough to not have more than one email for various purposes can lay in their bed.

Rather such legal actions should only be taken if your financially or physically harmed as a result of breaching contract. other than that, man up to the world and stop crying.