Upgrade CPU = Slower HDD?

JustinP526

Pit test is showing my HDD running only 19MB/s. I know it's a slower and older drive (will be replaced soon). It scores about 29 MB/s on PassMark PerformanceTest 7.

Just switched out my Northwood core P4[sL6WJ] (2.809GHz/512k/800) for a Prescott core P4[sL7E6] (3.40GHz/1M/800). Hdd been slowing down a bit lately, figure its time to replace. But something doesn't seem right that pit test says 19MB/s and PassMark is showing 29MB/s

Here's the pit test:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24591656

I'll get some screen shots of PassMark test results and upload to photobucket and share here.

Seen a few changes in BIOS, mainly temperatures and slight voltage difference. That should be due to the difference in CPU.

Northwood				 Prescott
CPU temp		35C/95F				   44C/111F
SYS temp		32C/89F				   26C/78F
CPUfan			3038RPM				  2989RPM
SYSfan		   2450RPM				  2303RPM
Vcore			  1.42v						1.23v

Not sure why fan speeds would drop... but different core has different voltage. I can see CPU temp jumping up so much due to Northwood TDP=65w and Prescott TDP=115w

As far as SYS temp drop, most likely because I removed heatsink from northbridge and put new application of thermal compound.

Thanks Joe

Not sure that really solves anything though...

Thought I seen somewhere that it can do just fine with 3.4GHz CPU as well.

Also, I don't really trust everything that it says on that manual. Especially due to it specifies Northwood core only, but yet the BIOS update allows for use of Prescott core and Celeron D. Then there is also a note on the CPU chart that says:

"With CPU speed changing rapidly, there might be fastest CPU on the market by the time you received this installation guide. This table is kindly for your references only."

Also the fact that they show SYSFAN1 header adjacent to CPU and on my board it is labeled as PWRFAN header. SYSFAN1 header is adjacent to the 4 pin CPU power connector and is actually tied in with the CPUFAN header so both fan operate together.

Guess I can try a more powerful PSU and see if that helps anything, since it seems fans have slowed down (maybe due to not enough power). Was going to swap out my eVGA GeForce 6200 for a BFG GeForce 7800 and swap the 1.5GB DDR266 for 2GB DDR400 Corsair XMS. Can't complain when the components are free from old thrown away systems :D

The manual is Chinese like most mobo manuals and some translation mix up happens. If you updated the bios for the Prescott chip then great! without question got at least a new high quality 400 to 500W psu in there.

Thanks a bunch!!

I put system specs in on this site and it recommends 390 watt PSU, which, is already 40 watts over the 350 watt rating of my current PSU :(

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Could explain why fans running slower too, possibly not getting full power.

Looks like minimum of 420 watt is recommended if I swap GeForce 6200 for a GeForce 7800

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I swapped PSUs and Mobos to try and determine what's going on exactly. So far it seems to be only with this AOpen board. Tested PSUs on an ASUS P4B and not seeing the voltage fluctuations there. Looking like something wrong with the AOpen board.. maybe a bad trace or possibly capacitors nearing end of life.

I've reinstalled WinXP however, because I ran a Driver Agent scan and it showed my system as have 2 physical CPUs installed simultaneously. Not sure if I was supposed to do a fresh install along side upgrading CPU. Seems to be slightly less problem now, but every so often SilentTek will still randomly warn of over voltage.

Just can't figure what would cause a rather small voltage drop on the Vcore and then a massive voltage spike on the +12 and +5 rails. Definitely not going into thermal shutdown, but the shutdown was apparently from huge over voltage. At worst +12 shot up to 18 volts (maybe higher) and +5 shot up to nearly 10 volts. Yet the +3.3 and -12 and -5 are consistently in optimal range.