cable length

Simple answer Yes, complected answer No BUT, in simple terms the longer the cable the more power (for want of a better word) it will take to get it down there, and at some point the signal would be to weak to get through, thats my understanding anyway, but people use 10M leads without issue for the most part, there may be exceptions, but I doubt the average person would need anything longer, hope this helps a bit.

Yes Thanks. I was thinking approx. 50 feet. I just read on Wikipedia about Cat 5 & 6 cable going up to 100Meters, but i don't really understand the technical explanation. I guess i can just try it. the cable is fairly cheap.

Thanks

A long cable run will typically be anchored — that is, won't be flexed — so solid rather than stranded wire cable can be used, which should give 300+ feet. Fifty feet isn't a large distance at all, however, so any reasonably decent cable will work. For gigabit connections, use CAT-6 cable; for anything slower, CAT-5e.

(CAT-5e is actually gigabit-capable, but CAT-6 is more reliable due to greater noise and crosstalk rejection.)