Sign in to follow this  
firekracker

You Know You're Low On Memory When...

when right clicking on anything brings up a black box instead of a menu, there are no icons on your desktop, icons in your taskbar are all wrong and/or in different places, your Start button has dissappeared from your Taskbar and there are a plethora of other things that are also clues to being low on memory.

when i came home today n' moved the mouse a little to wake up the monitor, everything seemed ok. then, whoooa, everything listed-above happened pretty much at the same time. so there i sat, wondering how to locate the "restart' button or somehow summon the Start button. so i tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete but just once since i knew twice would shut me down.

a screen came up, one that i'd never seen before, though in the bottom right-hand corner was a dropdown menu that included Restart. i clicked on it, though instead of restarting right away after shutting down, the computer did a few memory tests which at the end told me nothing was wrong in the memory department. sigh of relief...

so, if things start to look hinky, you might try what i did. main reason, IMHO, a hard shut down is tough on a compute, programs do not get shut properly, you may need to use last know good configuration and other problems may possibly crop up due to the hard shut-down n' who needs that? certainly not me and after all, this is all about me. :P

Fire :)

the abridged version should be available soon. :rolleyes:

Ctrl-Alt-Delete but just once since i knew twice would shut me down.

Windows 98?

c'mon Joe, you know i'm not old enough to have run Windows 98 :P

how about XP n' now Win7 Pro as of 5 months ago....though i remembered not to hit it twice cuz i kept shutting down Win7, at first, instead of seeing Task Manager. one would think there would be a BIG sign on the box that said, "hey yo-yo, hit C-Shift-Esc if you want Task Manager. C-A-D will shut you down if you click it twice and once might just get you out of a jam"

but noooooooo. once again, 'they' didn't ask me :rolleyes:

I have windows 7 pro too, and I can hit Ctrl-Alt-Del till the cows come home and it does not shut down my pc. I know earlier versions of windows did do that at one time.

yeah...hitting ctrl-alt-del twice doesn't do anything in win 7...

yeah...hitting ctrl-alt-del twice doesn't do anything in win 7...

perhaps you simply were not able to recreate the same 'situation' i encountered as described in my initial post :P

besides, it's been 41 years since i've had an hallucinatory experience n' that one time was enough to quench my curiosity....

in other words, be very careful whose veracity you call into question :boxing:

fire, this has nothing to do with who's telling the truth...it's simply a matter of fact, hitting ctrl-alt-del twice in a row does nothing in windows 7.

maybe you had a virus or another program that does do something when you do that, but windows 7 does nothing in response to hitting ctrl-alt-del twice.

fire, this has nothing to do with who's telling the truth...it's simply a matter of fact, hitting ctrl-alt-del twice in a row does nothing in windows 7.

maybe you had a virus or another program that does do something when you do that, but windows 7 does nothing in response to hitting ctrl-alt-del twice.

Oh, for goodness sake, whatever.... if you reread, perhaps you'll notice 'i was "wondering how to locate the "restart' button or somehow summon the Start button. so i tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete but just once since i knew twice would shut me down" i didn't hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice when i posted but rather once. so, your point would be.? don't answer, it's rhetorical :P

not having the "start" button, menus n' being able to see only black boxes when i clicked in futile attempts to summon the start/restart button. so i'm figuring when i hit Ctrl-Alt-Del once, i had simply logged myself back in n' thus got a screen i'd never seen before due to the memory n' whatever else situation. plus somewhere along the line, prior to Sept 28th, i had enabled Ctrl-Alt-Del.... hmmm, might have been the guy from Office Depot who did that

FYI, here are some sites that explore Ctrl-Atl-Del and win7 pro (what i'm running), win 7 n' so on....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

http://www.google.com/search?q=control+alt+delete+win+7+pro&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5382-log-screen-change.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/themes-styles/116626-ctrl-alt-del-screen-change.html

so i tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete but just once since i knew twice would shut me down

yeah...hitting ctrl-alt-del twice doesn't do anything in win 7

i'm simply trying to ensure that readers don't think that hitting ctrl-alt-del twice will shut their computers down, or do anything else, for that matter. forgive me if i don't understand the rant.

If they're running XP, Millenium, Win98, Win95 it will reboot the PC. ;)

Closed at OP's request.

:geezer: