Unable To Post Hijackthis Or Dds Logs

pward60889

hi i posted in teh main forum and was told to post a hijackthis log and dds neither of which i can get to run hijackthis is givingfme the message

"installation must be on a local hard drive" although i am trying to install to local drive C and the DDS program will just not run.

the problem i have is that i removed a keylogger from my pc last night using malwarebytes but when i rebooted the pc afterwards none of my antivirus software is loading up and a few other startup programs.

i cannot click links within the control panel but only select links that seem to have to do with trying resolvong the problem,

its as if by trying to remove the virus, it has attempted to preserve itself by locking all access to anything i could use to remove it

i cannot start malwarebytes or avast, even other unrelated programs ae seemingly blocked like using steam and firefox , although internet explorer seems to work.

is there anything i can do? i have tried restoring to an earlier time but that doesnt work, neither does running in safe mode i still have the same problems.

pward60889,

Can you start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking:

Restart the computer

Tap the F8 key as the computer boots

At the Options Menu, select: Safe Mode with Networking

>>> Download DDS from one of these locations:

Link 1

Link 2

XP _ Double click DDS to run the program.

Vista/Windows 7: Right-click DDS and select: Run as Administrator

When done, DDS opens two logs:

-DDS.txt

-Attach.txt

Save both reports to your Desktop, and post them in your reply.

If the above does not work, can you get the Internet Explorer browser to open by pressing Ctrl Alt Delete (simultaneously) to bring up Task Manager

(You may need to do this a couple of times.)

In Task Manager, go to File, and select: New Task (Run)

In the Create New Task prompt, in the ‘Open’ area, type in or copy /paste:

iexplorer.exe

Does the browser open?

ok so i tried all of the above although i had to start safe mode by using msconfig as my keyboard isnt active on the boot screen

DDS is still not running/installing from both links

internet explorrer will load up from thestart menu but not from task manager i get the message windows cannot find iexplorer.exe

no idea as to why it would work from one place and not the other ?

Edited by pward60889

im using windows 7 home edition 64bit

pc was a packard bell i think and i dont have an installation disk the only thing i have is a repair disk i created.

but i cannot even get that to work as i cannot access any options from the boot menu to load from the optical drive

If it loads successfully, Windows 7 will get rid of the messed-up configuration and return to the last known good configuration.

If it doesn’t come back to life, can you use the System Repair Disc to go back to the last System Restore Point?

Can you get into the Setup option, normally shown when the computer starts to boot

There will be some keys at the bottom of the screen: F2 or something similar

Can you enter Setup, and change the boot order, so the PC boots from the CD drive?

If I may interject...pward are you using a USB keyboard? Do you have a PS2 keyboard or can you borrow one from a friend to use. You need to be able to access BIOS by tapping the Del key or F2 to get into Setup/BIOS, then you can set the PC to boot from CD/DVD first. Then you can try to boot to your recovery cd that you made. ;)

:geezer:

When you go to Safe Mode > Advanced Options Menu

Select: Last known good configuration

What happens?

i got a new keyboard and tried this out but it seems to be exactly the same as before

the cd i have is not a restore point unfortunstley judt the repair cd for windows 7 slthough thst seems to see nothing wrong in the system

a friend of mine suggested thst i have the same problem they did a while back and that i have no rundll file ? could this be anything to do with it ?

ok i seem to have restored it to a save from the 23rd all programs are working as they should and im now running malwarebytes and avast to see if tehres anything left should i now take the time to run hijackthis and a dds log ?

Yes, and then let Aaflac direct you.

:geezer: