Help Me Before I Launch My Pc Out The Window!

Hello. I have just bought a new Dell Inspiron PC and want to transfer stuff from my old dell pc which runs windows XP. I also purchased orlogix 'Replace my PC ' suite which leads you to believe the process of transfer is simple and quick. After about two hours of frustration, I have reached the limit of my tech knowledge (which wasn't that much anyway!)

I have installed the programme on both old and new pc's as instructed but keep getting told to switch to old pc. Now this is the bit where any of you experienced computer people will laugh your bits off. If i have the new PC plugged in to the mains and all leads (monitor,usb's for mouse keyboard etc, and speakers) connected to it, and mains to the old pc, if I then connect an ethernet lead to both, as suggested in the instructions, nothing seems to happen. I can't 'see' my old computer from the new one. Do I need to get a wireless router and set up a network to do this. I will need to buy a wireless router soon anyway for a laptop so I don't mind getting one and if it helps sort out this problem, more the better. Sorry to go on so long. Any help will be great.

Ta.

I went to the orlogix Replace my PC web site and I see that it supports windows XP but nothing about supporting Vista or Windows 7.

http://www.orlogix.com/menu_2.php?catalogue_id=1&product_id=15#04

If you have a router or a cross over cable then you can network both pc's and transfer files that way, does not need to be a wireless router unless you'll need one eventually for a laptop.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Using a crossover cable

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Connect-two-computers-using-a-crossover-cable

Thanks Joe and Nigsy, I'll look into those links. I should add though, that I am a real novice at all things computery. My PC is connected through a modem (not wireless at present) and I cant see how I'd connect the old on to the new and still be able to view stuff on the old if the monitor/keyboard/mouse etc are connected to the new. Could you help, in really simple terms (for dumbasses like me!) to explain what lead goes where or what I should use to connect them together. I have a 5 port ethernet switch if that helps. Bought it to do regular upgrades to by bly-ray player in another room via a really long ethernet lead! I know I must sound like something out of the Victorian era but there you go! :pullhair::geezer:

You are really going to need to beg / borrow another monitor/kb/ mouse so you can complete the transfer. That's the easiest option.

Spend a few pounds on crossover cable and take advantage of the ethernet transfer speeds, easier to set up than trying to network XP and w7 over a router etc.

Keep us posted and we'll keep helpingPosted Image

and

:wp:

Another alternative you can do, is to use an adapter to connect your old drive to your new pc via usb. Then you can select what you need from your old windows

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

You will need the technical know how to remove your drive from your old pc in order to do this

Thanks guys for your patience with a techno numpty :shrug: I realised that Dell sent me a new keyboard and mouse as part of the new PC package (no charge surprisingly) and i have connected a flat tv to the old pc via a vga lead. It lives!!!!! I now have two functioning computers both connected to the internet but, as yet, not to each other.:cr@sh: