Sign in to follow this  
penn919

Is It Possible To Use Xp Pro Activation Key On Media Center Edition?

If I can remember correctly, Windows XP Media Center was essentially the same thing as XP pro. I remember hearing about XP pro activation keys being compatible with the XP MCE. Does anyone know whether that's true or not? I've just ordered a replacement desktop for $75 on eBay, but it doesn't have windows, it has linux installed but comes with a XP pro COA sticker. I have an XP MCE installation disk and I just need to know if it'll work.

Thanks.

I'm with CB on that.

It probably would be easier to get an oem XP disk and use your existing key for that than to find a working key for the MCE version

I remember hearing about XP pro activation keys being compatible with the XP MCE.

The product ID in setupp.ini is the same for the XP Pro OEM and MCE CDs I checked, although MCE 2005 may differ (some disks, at least). A web search turned up quite a few reports of Pro installing with an MCE key. I think it couldn't hurt to try ...