Screen Flicker

Try updating the video driver. I was actually hoping the refresh rate was set wrong.. :hammer:

Other than these, it sounds like a bad connection or a bad screen.

ok...Where do we find the video driver?

we are running windows 7

The flicker is so bad that it's very hard to navigate the screen

Edited by lorriehe

A lot of the older (about 2006 thru 2008) had bad GPU's, a flickering screen was one of the things that were a problem, It caused from the video chips overheating from poor cooling. What model number is this HP laptop?

A lot of the older (about 2006 thru 2008) had bad GPU's, a flickering screen was one of the things that were a problem, It caused from the video chips overheating from poor cooling. What model number is this HP laptop?

His computer is a dv6700 model HP Pavilion (product 6928us).

This doesn't sound like the same thing. It's almost like an interference. It's hard to describe what it's doing. It's constant. For a couple of seconds the screen is still then it gets a real mad flicker going on. It's almost like it's timed.

wasn't there a class-action lawsuit due to the horrible gpu's hp was using?

if the flickering doesn't change at all when rocking the screen back and forth then your issue is either the display itself or the gpu. both will probably cost you (assuming no warranty) enough to think about just buying a new computer.

edit: grammar

Edited by badbinary

Try an external monitor see if the problem exists on it. If it does then you'll know it's very likely the gpu. Having just changed the motherboard on a dv6640 which is about the same age as your current laptop. As the motherboard was dying the start was with video problems not quite as bad as your having but a problem none the less. It moved on to a usb plug going bad then finally wouldn't post or boot. The cost of the motherboard was a little over $200 but if we hadn't been able to replace it ourselves it would have cost another $100 to replace the motherboard so it might be time to replace the laptop.

Try an external monitor see if the problem exists on it. If it does then you'll know it's very likely the gpu. Having just changed the motherboard on a dv6640 which is about the same age as your current laptop. As the motherboard was dying the start was with video problems not quite as bad as your having but a problem none the less. It moved on to a usb plug going bad then finally wouldn't post or boot. The cost of the motherboard was a little over $200 but if we hadn't been able to replace it ourselves it would have cost another $100 to replace the motherboard so it might be time to replace the laptop.

replacing the motherboard does not fix this problem. It is a design flaw and the replacement board will fail too. Get a new laptop

replacing the motherboard does not fix this problem. It is a design flaw and the replacement board will fail too. Get a new laptop

Well, it works find when hooked to an external monitor, so it's either a wire or bad screen.

Some of these laptops had bed GPU's. I'm glad your does not have this problem :rocks:

You can find cables on e-bay but you need to check the sellers credentials out carefully before you buy

Edited by Joe C

It's not bad GPU's..... but the laptop runs too hot and causes the solder to melt away from the GPU, a very simple trick is to just "reflow" or re-solder the GPU back on the board and it will work for a while until it gets too hot again and may need to be reflowed. Here's a you tube on one of the methods, there are several methods out there

This recall is now expired but I found a copy that explains the litigation involved and the specific laptops affected

http://nvidiasettlem...dfs/NVF_NOT.pdf

I have seen many other posts out the in cyber land where these not the only laptops that are affected, but the litigation only involved those listed in the pdf

Edited by Joe C
  • 1 month later...

Well, the screen finally went totally black. I tried another inverter yesterday and the screen came on for a moment but it had lines thru it and eventually went black again. Kind of frustrating cause I was hoping to save it.

Yes. I'm with the others about replacing the lappy's motherboard or attempting to "re-flow" the solder on the old motherboard. "Re-flow" is tricky but can be done...

If it was me, I'd either replace the motherboard or trash the laptop while saving what parts I could. i.e. memory and hard drive.

:geezer:

try an external monitor. If it works then it's your screen, if not then it is most likely the gpu and a reflow might get it going for a little while. But you might bite the bullet like thousands of other sad hp owners and consider a new laptop.

A lot of tech folks are getting around $100. to reflow the board.

Edited by Joe C