Change Mode

Google+

Bruce

I can post an excerpt about privacy:

Sometimes you're not even sure who the advertisers are. It's just a bunch of jumping monkeys or something." Google really does want to protect your privacy, but it's got issues. First, it's profit-driven and it's huge. But those aren't the main reasons privacy advocates get so upset about Google. They get upset because the company's guiding philosophy conflicts with the notion of privacy. As the PowerPoint says right up top: "Google's mission: to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful." Which is awesome, except for the fact that my information is part of the world's information.

Google make it's money thru ads, it's no secret and it's no accident that ads are no longer the annoying pop-ups we used to see. They are not out to pissoff people, they can't make money doing that

You'll have to read the rest here

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2058205-1,00.html

Edited by Joe C

Did you read? it works like this:

Part of the problem people have with data mining is that it seems so creepy. Right after I e-mailed a friend in Texas that I might be coming to town, a suggestion for a restaurant in Houston popped up as a one-line all-text ad above my Gmail inbox. But it's not a barbecue-pit master stalking me, which would indeed be creepy; it's an algorithm designed to give me more useful, specific ads. And while that doesn't sound like all that good a deal in exchange for my private data, if it means that I get to learn when the next Paul Thomas Anderson movie is coming out, when Wilco is playing near my house and when Tom Colicchio is opening a restaurant close by, maybe that's not such a bad return.

Sure is. I haven't seen an ad in a web browser for years now.

Certainly don't see them at google+

have been there in three different browsers, no ads. ;)

Maybe you should check your machine for spyware if you are getting ads Joe. :shrug:

I don't use google software so I do not get ads either

And I don't try to push google data mining adware onto my friends either

Edited by Joe C

Software?

I didn't realize this thread was about software.

I thought it was about a website.

However, I do use some google software on my computer and get no ads, and of course my phone runs their operating system and software and I get no ads.

Not sure where these ads are supposed to be that you talk about but I certainly have never seen any of them.

Thanks for the invite Bruce. I was able to get in again and it had my info that I had put into there before. Also found a handy little program by searching Google on how to transfer your pics from Facebook over to G+ with basically just 1 click of the button. It was a plugin for chrome. When I get home, I will try and update this thread with the link and such. (provided I rememeber to do this) lol. But it made moving all my pics over a snap. I think the count was 1680? I dunno. LOL

Bart

Hope this link works

chrome-extension://idiebfmmkhaffedkhjhapmagabcadjhc/controller.html?fb_access_token=178015895592120|1af0202a36674384a3b388e8.4-687251576|uZRn5AIV386zg36GOwn8hPF4D6I

Edited by BigBadBart25

So far it is void of all the game crap notifications that I got sick of deleting, hiding, and ignoring on face book. I imagine that will change with time and I will pretty much abandon it.

The hangout option is decent and works very well.

Pretty much you start a hangout and anyone who is in the circle of friends you have included can just pop in. Multiple people in a video conference. No expensive software, or apps running, just a simple browser plugin and it works in Linux, MAC or Windows, likely would work in andorid phones capable of video streaming..........powerful phone.

I like the circles concept, it is about as simple as it gets, drag and drop friends, family or whoever into circles where they can not see whats happening in other circles unless you allow it. Yes this can be done in other social sites but not as easily.

Edited by Bruce