Sign in to follow this  
BigBadBart25

Open Office Alternative

Hey Pit Crew!!!

I'm back with another question. For some reason, not sure if it was becuase of an update or what. But openoffice on my laptop seems to have taken a dive. I get into either word, excel, etc, and it works till I got to move something or type and just crashes. Uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded new versions, same procedure still the same thing happens. SO, I started using google docs. It is not the most user friendly thing to work with and it screws up the conversion most of the time. So, I am looking to another free alternative office clone software that is not to much of a hog, but gets the job done. Thank you for your help and your suggestions.

Thanks,

Bart

Hey looks pretty nice! I will have to try it maybe tomorrow at some point. Or whenever I actually get some free time. (what is this concept of free time?) lol Thank you for your quick reply! You guys as always. ROCK!

Thanks

Bart

Hi BigBadBart25 ~

here's a fairly comprehensive of all the Alternatives available. free of course, cept for maybe a few items.

caintry's libreoffice is included n' quite good...just thought you might want more options to consider...

Fire :)

Hey Pit Crew!!!

I'm back with another question. For some reason, not sure if it was becuase of an update or what. But openoffice on my laptop seems to have taken a dive. I get into either word, excel, etc, and it works till I got to move something or type and just crashes. Uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded new versions, same procedure still the same thing happens. SO, I started using google docs. It is not the most user friendly thing to work with and it screws up the conversion most of the time. So, I am looking to another free alternative office clone software that is not to much of a hog, but gets the job done. Thank you for your help and your suggestions.

Thanks,

Bart

it did the same for me

crashed and i lost everything

in my line of work

i cannot afford that

so free or alternatives are out

no more free cheap programs for me

so i installed microsoft office

and make sure i got back ups

Edited by mme

I'm recommending LibreOffice as well. It's a fork of OpenOffice.org (Many developers left Openoffice to develop and work on Libreoffice), and a lot of people are working on it, thus there's a big community of contributors and friends that might assist you Posted Image

generics wildcard

Edited by johnkon32

Thank you to all that have commented and helped me out with this!!!! I am going to download and try to install this tonight, and see what happens. I am truly grateful for everyone here. Always helpful, and your there with a quick and great answer when needed. I Love PCPitstop!!!

Thanks

Bart

I'm recommending LibreOffice as well. It's a fork of OpenOffice.org (Many developers left Openoffice to develop and work on Libreoffice), and a lot of people are working on it, thus there's a big community of contributors and friends that might assist you ;)

It isn't openoffice, or libre office that are causing problems. You have an issue elsewehere.

If two different programs are crashing then you need to start looking somewhere else to find out what is wrong.

Alright, sounds like a plan. You guys helped me through this weird crap before on my machine. Why I get these bizarre problems I do not know. I can uninstall and install other software fine. Just office alternatives seem to be the sticklers. Let me know what the next step is. I am think hijackthis. But I need the instructions again. I will get it on here as soon as possible. May be a few days, as life is busier than a beaver building a damn again.

Bart

how many different office programs have you installed/removed from this pc so far?

The only one I have ever had on it since I redid the OS sometime ago was openoffice. I have done incremental upgrades to it in between, and even those are far and few inbetween. Just one day I brought up my resume, tried to make a ltitle change to it and crashed and since then no matter what I brought up it would just exit out and crash. I have no idea what caused it. Thought I'd try the other suggestions they had here, and no go. I am confused. lol

Bart

Thanks Joe,

I will see if I can grab some time tonight or possibly tomorrow night to try that. and see what happens.

Bart.

Reinstall open office and then use Revo to uninstall and clean up any garbage left in the registry

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Not sure if that will work, but it might be worth a shot

your still getting the same error with libre office, try downloading it again, might have gotten a bad downloaded file

This was open office I tried to put on again. Maybe I misread you with open office. I can try redownloading the other one also.

Jeff

your still getting the same error with libre office, try downloading it again, might have gotten a bad downloaded file

I'm just taking another guess, but perhaps you have an antivirus or antimalware/firewall program that's preventing the office installer from writing to the drive? Turn all that off and see if it helps?

AVG used to be a very good antivirus, but it has become a resource eating bloated pig. If your running the freebie version, there are better choices for an a/v today, and it won't hound you to purchase

AVG used to be a very good antivirus, but it has become a resource eating bloated pig. If your running the freebie version, there are better choices for an a/v today, and it won't hound you to purchase

I actually have the paid version of it. And yeah I agree it has become more bloated as time has moved on with it. I will try and see what I can do tonight, if I am in the mood. Right now I am not. But I will try either tonight or tomorrow evening. Got to see whats going on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bart.

Posted ImageAugust 31, 2011">I disabled AVG Antivirus and IO Care (on a whim) and I came up with the same error message. I will try to redownload libre and see what happens. Keep ya posted. Any other ideas? Want me to post my system info again?

Bart

Edited by BigBadBart25

I had to use a different download link for libre and it finally installed. So I guess I will try that out. Thanks for all your guys help. I appreciate every one of you.

Bart