Change Mode

Don't Know What To Do - Please Help!

L162E26uD

Ok, First off, I don't even know if this is the correct place to post but I need help. Please redirect if needed. So here is the problem thus far:

Last night I shut down my computer and all is well. No new programs installed, nothing suspicious in the least. So this morning, I turn my computer on and it looks like it's going to start ok, BIOS bootscreen flashes by....Windows XP logo and blue mover is moving. Then the screen goes black entirely. Next a small message box with the title LSASS.EXE - BAD IMAGE comes up with the following:

The application or DLL C:\Windows\System32\Uxtheme.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

So I X out of the box and time goes by...longer than usual, then, my user icon appears along with the bar for entering my password. So I enter the password and the screen goes black again but this time a box comes up that says:

The system cannot log you on now because the domain my-computer-name is not available (I'm using my-computer-name in place of the real computer name here...privacy and all).

Now I am not on a domain system at all. There are 2 computers on a router and neither belongs to any domains. I have tried to boot the problem machine using safe mode command prompt, regular safe mode, and safe mode with networking to no avail, the same message comes up each time about LSASS.EXE and the same domain message appears. I have also tried using the install disk and recovery to fix the problem but it errors out using bootcfg and bootfix writes a new boot sector but that doesn't change anything either. What do I need to do to fix this? I need the machine to be up tonight for some very important work using software that is only installed on it, not my other machine. Please Help in any way you can!

Thanks.

possible hard disk corruption / defect ?

first of all, backup all your important data.

next, boot from windows xp cd (you might be required to "tell" your BIOS to boot from CD)

go to Recovery mode, input administrator password (if required), then perform

chkdsk c:/f

This will check your disk for logical error.

If problem still persist, go to safe mode, and do

sfc /scannow

windows will then scan your system files and make sure they are in order.

-------------------------------------------

a quick google suggest that http www dot tech support forum dot com/forums/f10/solved-the-application-or-dl-c-windows-system32-uxtheme-dll-is-not-a-valid-windows-363998.html (sorry if url is not allowed)

you just need to replace the said dll file, but chkdsk + sfc repairs (and possibly) and fix some system error too, so why not

Be prepared duh, your hard disk might be crashing soon. So again, backup all your important data as chkdsk might corrupt your data.

good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I am going nuts. I tried what you have suggested, there doesn't seem to be a /f switch for chkdsk but the ones provided don't help much anyhow. When chkdsk is run w/o switches it reports my c drive as not having any errors but reports it as only 10340 kB's in size. Trying to do the /r switch brings up the message "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". I am able to switch to the D: drive which is my working drive and is a partition of C but it, too, cannot be checked and the same message displays there too. I can access the drive using the Ultimate Boot CD and am going to copy my files over to another drive but don't want to reinstall windows unless I am out of options here. Is there anything else I can do? I cannot boot into anything even safe mode which I said earlier.

Archived