Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prepare

Defrag Unsuccessful

I just added the Recommended Fixes URL to my profile. How sure how this works, but want to find out how to get PC Matic to bring fragmentation down. It's now limited to 7-11% after several tries. Is this the best I can do?

The fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag with PC Matic, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see improvement.

The fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag with PC Matic, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see improvement.

I'll try what you suggest. Thanks.

Is there a detailed explanation of what the process is that PC Matic uses to do the defrag function? It seems to go through several stages I don't understand.

The first phase is the actual file defrag. Phases 2 through however many are needed is the Disk Optimization, where every file on the drive is moved to be as close to the outside edge of the platters as possible for the fastest access time. There is a full optimization, which can literally take hours, and a partial optimization which should be quicker. The progress graph for the Disk Optimization, is non-linear, meaning that it can jump around due to the way the files are moved.