Change Mode

To Root Or Not To Root, That Is The Question.

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Android users, do you find it necessary to root your device? If so why? Do you agree w/manufacturers voiding the warranty if your device is rooted?

Edited by Tx Redneck

Rooted mine initially to get a screen shot.

Then found, I could get better control of battery, remove all the bloatware (and it's not even windows!!) and just generally get better performance.

I also have the stock ROM from Orange UK, so I can always go back if there is a need to return the phone.

Android users, do you find it necessary to root your device? If so why? Do you agree w/manufacturers voiding the warranty if your device is rooted?

I do not find it necessary. As for the warranty, yes I agree with them on voiding the warranty. Changing kernels can have adverse effects on the hardware, and the manufactures should not be held liable for people doing things they have little to no knowledge about.

That said, I believe when you purchase a hardware device it is yours to do with as you wish. Just don't expect a manufacturer to stand behind that hardware when you deviate from the standard "operating system"

I do not find it necessary. As for the warranty, yes I agree with them on voiding the warranty. Changing kernels can have adverse effects on the hardware, and the manufactures should not be held liable for people doing things they have little to no knowledge about.

That said, I believe when you purchase a hardware device it is yours to do with as you wish. Just don't expect a manufacturer to stand behind that hardware when you deviate from the standard "operating system"

came here to say pretty much this ^

I think it is necessary, at least for me. I bought it, it belongs to me, and what I do with it, short of blatant illegality, is my business. I think that carriers should keep their snotty noses out of folk's personal modifications. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Have a great day! I'm a newbie here!

• 1 year later...

I've had to use stickmount in order to get the mico usb to "see" ...external HD on my nexus 7 ........none of the ad blockers will seem to work without it being rooted ........ I'm totally unfamiliar with android as I've never owned a smart phone before so I'm a bit dubious about messing around until I'm a lot more confident with it ...so I guess I'm stuck with the ads for now .........and stickmount is about as far as Ill go for now .....

I have to say though ....Im rather impressed with the speed of this though ..... £180 pad web experience is faster than my £1000 plus worth desktop (parts of it are a bit long in the tooth though ........ windows experience of 5.4 which I guess it makes it around just over av )

I'm only getting a partial result from my connectivity to my NAS box so far ...so I'm using google drive as a stopgap (and then backing up to NAS) , unfamiliarity again ..

the last time I felt that I was having to work... to deal with a technological jump as different as this (or as big as ) was when I went from a rubber keyboarded 48K spectrum to win 95...... fascinating

Ive had a red hat lappad for years .....but this little pad has amazed me ........

Here you go Tankus:

http://liliputing.com/2012/07/how-to-root-the-google-nexus-7-unlock-the-bootloader-install-custom-recovery.html

Real simple.

Or using ADB here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

(I used ADB on my Samsung Galaxy - As the one click stuff didn't work)

remember you don't need to install a custom ROM, but with SU privileges you will find there are advantages such as control of CPU speeds, Bloatware removal etc. Always do your research first - Start on the XDA forums for latest advice.

I have to admit ....I am seriously impressed by the nexus 7 ........... and android jelly/fish/bean/icecream sandwich? whatever ...just what is it with the stupid names anyway ..?

If android was on a desktop and all the bits worked ...I would be quite tempted to walk away from windows ....

not rooted yet ...still playing

...quick question ...all my apps and purchases are already stored on google play ... accessible from my desk top ....I can download from the desktop and it syncs via play to my nexus ...been looking at titanium pro .....so what would be the difference ? ...the only advantage would be the ad blockers ...but is that worth the warranty ? ....wait a year perhaps

TiBu Pro enables batch backup of user apps+ their data as well as system data. They just introduced the ability to restore from an ADB backup via TiBu w/out root.

I have to admit ....I am seriously impressed by the nexus 7 ........... and android jelly/fish/bean/icecream sandwich? whatever ...just what is it with the stupid names anyway ..?

If android was on a desktop and all the bits worked ...I would be quite tempted to walk away from windows ....

not rooted yet ...still playing

http://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page

http://software.opensuse.org/122/en

• 1 month later...

Even though technically rooting your phone will void the warranty, I personally feel vendors should not ship phones without the ability to have full access and remove any pre-installed apps...

Plus from a security point of view which is still in the learning stage for myself with such devices...it is far from ideal end of, if any one app installed cannot be removed and leaving such un-patched/updated is a security risk and if opt to do so regardless used or not takes up valuable storage space!

So exactly the same as from a PC point of view if thought about and at least with PC's we can uninstall software not required and or use the means to do so if malicous for example. :)