Been so snowed under with stuff to do of late, I am out of touch currently, but it's time for an upgrade, so any pointers for a high spec build would be great, but you can see what I am running in my profile, and for the most part it's only the main components to change up.

Basically a motherboard, with all the new CPU's now I'm not sure which is the best socket to go for, not really an over-clocker, and don't need Wi-Fi, but Sata ports are a must, need at least 7 off the top of my head, possibly more, and USB3 and SATA-III 6GB/s has to be a must for maxing out future use, I don't have the money to do this often, so it has to last a while.

CPU, my guess is the i7 is the one to get now, and from what I've seen taking price into mind the 960 looks a fair bet, looking at @ £200 for this.

SSD, I'll be getting a WD2TB SATA-III 6GB/s Green for storage (my 1TB is near full lol), but I keep hearing how fast the SSD's are, and as prices have dropped a bit figured it's time to have a look, looking @ £100 for this, it's purely for running the system (installed stuff etc), so 60gig should be ample, it's a case of which is the best 60gig about currently ?

Video, need to do this as well, mine is struggling at times these days, but I am not a gamer, although I do some graphics stuff occasionally, I will also be hooking in my TV (40" LCD) via an HDMI cable, again looking at @ £100 or so here, Seen GTX460 type cards at about that price, but not sure if theres something better ?

RAM, DDR3 seems so cheap currently, seen 12gig sets for @ £100, also seen triple channel memory mentioned in respect to i7's, seems mad not to take advantage if it would make a difference ?

There are also bundles available, with my hands these days may be a better way to go, fitting the heatsinks is a killer for me, but are there any decent pre assembled bundles around (bearing in mind I'm UK based) ?

Needless to say if something is worth that bit extra, I'm always open to suggestion, and once I get some general guidance I will start trying to see whats about, then you can say if theres any better options about, I don't think I've missed anything, the heatsink I can worry about once I get the main bits sorted, although it is included in the bundles I've seen, so any input would be great.

Edited by 8210GUY

for mb, i'd be probably be looking at socket 1155 with z68 chipset and cpu probably i7 2600k.

for bundles/pre-built pc's i'd probably go here:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-282-OK

socket 1366 future :-

Q4 2011. This is where things start to get interesting as the LGA 1366/X58 platform gets phased out to make room for the enthusiast-grade Sandy Bridge-E (SNB-E) using the LGA 2011/X79 platform. More on the differences between SNB-E and Sandy/Ivy Bridge in the next slide.

http://motherboardnews.com/2011/04/10/intels-leaked-roadmap-shows-new-sandy-bridge-chips-ivy-bridge-and-more/

and why i think you'll be better off looking at 1155 mb's.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Even with a 90 gig ssd, I'm having to be careful with what goes on the C drive, Windows 7 needs 40 gigs just for itself. Consider something more than 60 gigs for a ssd drive

win7 takes up nowhere near 40GBs for the os, don't know where you got that figure from joe.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/9038c21f-5184-468c-bf5b-9f54bca70c5c

says absolute minimum it's run on is 10GB.(think it takes up just under 9gb to install)

but for best performance 25GB min is recommended.

caintry only place i find that drive over here:- http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/GSkill-SSD-Phoenix-Pro-Series-25-120GB-SSD-SATA-II-%28MLC%29/mainproduct/view/33377-NA/10 and there's no way i'd pay £250 for it. :laughing: i'd get one of these first :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-085-OC&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1669

Edited by terry1966

Your more than welcome to use a 25 gig drive, I'm speaking from experience, if you plan on actually doing anything with your windows 7, then get at least a 120 gig drive. 60 gig drive are ok for XP.

i'd think the reason joe's is using up so much space just for the os is probably he has a lot of memory in his machine and win7 has allocated the same amount of drive space for page file. :shrug:

60Gb drive is plenty big enough for a dedicated os only drive, even for win7, unless of course your a gamer and want to put lots of games on it too.

joe is right tho, bigger is always better. :lol:

might help you decide on an ssd :- http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-ssd-hdd-august-2011/

Edited by terry1966

Well thats certainly given me somewhere to start, Thanks everyone, I will start sifting through sites a bit later on and come back with some findings for you to look over and make sure I'm on track, the above links are great, but they are a mixed bag for me, to afford that board I'd have to forgo the SSD, the kit shown is an entire system, don't really need that, just the main parts inside, the kind of bundles I was on about are like This One (not sure whats going on with the price though), looks good on paper, but not sure how it compares to the above ?

I think prices may have gone up recently, I swear This RAM set was under £100, and for the money it seemed a no brainer, don't know if it compares to the above ?

The i7, first time I heard of that one TBH, I was looking at the 960's as the price wasn't bad compared to the really new ones (990's), so I take it the 2600 is a faster more powerful beast then ?

Video was pretty much where I was looking, just didn't know if another model was a better choice, but if the GTX 460's are the best deal at that price then that should be easy to choose, unless there is a better card around the same price ?

I will try and post back a shopping list in a bit, then you can tell me if I am off target or not.

Thanks again everyone :b33r::b33r:

Well thats certainly given me somewhere to start, Thanks everyone, I will start sifting through sites a bit later on and come back with some findings for you to look over and make sure I'm on track, the above links are great, but they are a mixed bag for me, to afford that board I'd have to forgo the SSD, the kit shown is an entire system, don't really need that, just the main parts inside, the kind of bundles I was on about are like This One (not sure whats going on with the price though), looks good on paper, but not sure how it compares to the above ?

I think prices may have gone up recently, I swear This RAM set was under £100, and for the money it seemed a no brainer, don't know if it compares to the above ?

The i7, first time I heard of that one TBH, I was looking at the 960's as the price wasn't bad compared to the really new ones (990's), so I take it the 2600 is a faster more powerful beast then ?

Video was pretty much where I was looking, just didn't know if another model was a better choice, but if the GTX 460's are the best deal at that price then that should be easy to choose, unless there is a better card around the same price ?

I will try and post back a shopping list in a bit, then you can tell me if I am off target or not.

Thanks again everyone :b33r::b33r:

If you want to go with a "kit", then I'd look at these two to stay away from MSI...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-081-OE&groupid=43&catid=2053&subcat=2063

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-082-OE&groupid=43&catid=2053&subcat=2063

The Z68 chipset Skt. 1155 setups are the "new kids on the block"...i7 being the most powerful. This is where I'll be heading next spring if the "bad boys" don't change between now and then...

:geezer:

Well been looking all night, and as usual have hit a few walls, found one site with cheap boards, but I don't know what the REVB3 means in each title, I wondered if they were refurbs or something, but looking in the refurb section they don't use such terms, any idea what this may mean ?

Board 1 and Board 2.

The same 2 boards again at a better price than the link offered above, just wondering how these compare to the original link, and the REVB3 links I just gave, and in simple terms what board is the better ? And more so in the difference between the Pro and the Deluxe ?

Board 1 and Board 2.

I have tried reading the info, but as soon as they say about the Sata ports I am lost, they mention numerous ports for various uses, but from past memory some are used with one controller, the rest by the other controller, but I can't recall if you can use all at once, and if it affects performance at all.

I have also found another query while looking at drives, This Drive comes with a card, and costs £20 more approx than the same drive on it's own, any idea what this is and if it's worth the extra ?

From what little I could make out, it's a card that creates some more Sata ports, but it's not written in a way I can be sure, so any input on that would be great, also do you know if Sata 3 parts are backward compatible with Sata 2 ports (parts are often backward capable from what I know) ?

Finally the RAM, I mentioned initially about triple RAM, and the i7's being able to utilise it, I searched Asus for Tri channel boards, and only got 1 hit, and it wasn't a z68 one,

so I am now struggling to figure whats best, as the z68's are all dual channel, at least the ones I've seen, is Tri channel better than dual channel ?

Assuming I have to stick with dual channel, albeit from board restrictions or simple fact dual may be better, I would probably look to 16gig of ram (4x4gig sticks), I know it's overkill, but at the price I figure why not, so any help to understand this would be great.

Thanks for the help. :b33r:

Edited by 8210GUY

rev b3 is just a revision number.

both boards compared :- http://www.asus.com/Compare/

yes you can use all sata ports at once.

both usb2/sata2 devices can be used on their counter part usb3/sata3 ports.

yes the board with the drive probably allows use of more sata devices but there's no info, so no idea if it's worth it, i'd say not tho.

1155 i7's don't have tri channel memory controllers built into them like the 1366 i7's so 1155 boards do not support tri channel ram only the 1366 boards do and 1366 will soon be replaced by 2011 boards that support quad channel ram.

this link might interest you(especially the $1100 build),all solid builds in my opinion(but then again i am a gigabyte fan):- http://www.overclockers.com/amd-intel-buyers-guide-82011/

Yeah I must admit Revision was the first thing I thought of, but I can find nothing on the Asus site about it, nor any other site, the revision suggests it's the newer release, and therefore better ?

The compare link didn't work, probably a cookies thing unique at the time of looking, but I can do a straight compare (which I have) between the Pro and Deluxe, and the Pro looks like it has more than the Deluxe, yet the latter suggests it should be the better one, so not sure how to separate them to choose the better board, but I guess the Deluxe is probably the way to go as first suggested to me.

I was hoping the parts would be backward compatible, they usually are, so I can get the 2TB storage drive before the rest to back up the files I have, as I fear my 1TB is failing.

As to ram I can forget Tri channel then, and the link certainly surprised me about the 16gig, but it does mean I could get 8gig now then more later if needed, but you mention Quad channel, sounds good lol, any idea if this board would be capable of the new ram you mention ?

My hope is it will take it, albeit after a BIOS update, in which case thats perfect, but for now I'm guessing This Ram will be a good choice ? Or is there something better ?

Many Thanks for the help, pretty much down to a shopping list now, will post back when I get a final list. :b33r:

Yes, all the boards that you linked to are the same boards. Terry is right the B3 is just "revision". The Deluxe wouild be my choice too...

That RAM should be great.

Here's some examples of PCI-E HBA cards...

http://www.backupworks.com/adaptec-sas-sata-cards.aspx

appears they can add SATA/SCSI ports externally or internally using PCI-E x 1 ports...

As to ram I can forget Tri channel then, and the link certainly surprised me about the 16gig, but it does mean I could get 8gig now then more later if needed, but you mention Quad channel, sounds good lol, any idea if this board would be capable of the new ram you mention ?

My hope is it will take it, albeit after a BIOS update, in which case thats perfect, but for now I'm guessing This Ram will be a good choice ? Or is there something better ?

not sure i'm understanding you right, but i'll explain ram a bit more because you seem to be confused between ddr3 ram and duel,tri,quad channel cpu's/motherboards.

the next big step in ram will be to ddr4 in about 2014, faster than the fastest ddr 3 ram we use now.

dual,tri,quad channel cpu's/motherboards are just the amount of sticks the memory controller allows the cpu to access at one time,

so if a cpu/motherboard has a quad memory controller built in like the new upcoming socket 2011's then that means data to/from 4 ram sticks can be sent at the same time, hence the need for motherboards made with rows of 4 ram slots instead of the 2/3 now on dual/tri channel motherboards, to maximise the amount of data being passed to the cpu.

i think the reason we see pairs of ram slots, ie 4/6 ram slots for dual/tri channel motherboards is

1/ to maximise the ram

2/ while data is being sent to 1 pair/tri it can be read from the 2nd pair/tri so also maximising a cpu's workload.

therefore no bios updates are ever going to make a dual channel cpu/motherboard be able to access more than 2 sticks of ram at the same time, even tho the motherboard has 4 ram slots, because it's a hardware limit not a software one.

yes g-skill is good ram.

motherboards with built in graphics are for mainstream users, motherboards without onboard graphics are for the serious gamer/overclocker, therefore usually have a slightly higher build quality to take the punishment of overclocking.

Edited by terry1966

Well put a list together, not sure if anything can be bettered for not too much more money, and typically my usual site has now sold out of the deluxe motherboard lol, typical of my luck, but REV 3 suggests to me it's newer than the other ones, and would be the better one to go for ?

Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz Socket 1155 L3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Although I don't know what the difference with This One is, apart from cost that is ?

G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL7 (7-8-7-24) 1.6V

Inno3D GTX 460 SE Green Edition 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache - WD20EARX

OCZ 60GB Vertex 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 550MB/s Write 495MB/s

Looking at how fast the total is rising I suspect I may be forced to put a hold on the SSD and Graphics card to make it more affordable, using what I already have for now, then get those when money allows, will have to see how brave I am at the time of ordering lol, but the SSD, I figured 60gig should be plenty, but worst case I could get a 2nd a bit further down the road and raid0 them, best of both worlds that way if it's needed, but I wont get the card with the drive then.

As to the ram, I wouldn't say confused, but certainly no where near fully understanding the concepts, but I figure I don't need to as long as I know which is the better option, but I did know that Dual\Tri\Quad channel gave performance boosts in the way it handled tasks, thats why I was looking at Tri channel initially, but as Z68 doesn't support this then Dual channel it is, but I'm not surprised that it will take a new board to use Quad channel, but I guess as Quad is 2xDual channel it may of been a hope of it happening lol.

Thanks for all the pointers people, hopefully will get this in the next week or so. :b33r::b33r:

Well put a list together, not sure if anything can be bettered for not too much more money, and typically my usual site has now sold out of the deluxe motherboard lol, typical of my luck, but REV 3 suggests to me it's newer than the other ones, and would be the better one to go for ?

Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz Socket 1155 L3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Although I don't know what the difference with This One is, apart from cost that is ?

G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL7 (7-8-7-24) 1.6V

WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache - WD20EARX

OCZ 60GB Vertex 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 550MB/s Write 495MB/s

Looking at how fast the total is rising I suspect I may be forced to put a hold on the SSD and Graphics card to make it more affordable, using what I already have for now, then get those when money allows, will have to see how brave I am at the time of ordering lol, but the SSD, I figured 60gig should be plenty, but worst case I could get a 2nd a bit further down the road and raid0 them, best of both worlds that way if it's needed, but I wont get the card with the drive then.

As to the ram, I wouldn't say confused, but certainly no where near fully understanding the concepts, but I figure I don't need to as long as I know which is the better option, but I did know that Dual\Tri\Quad channel gave performance boosts in the way it handled tasks, thats why I was looking at Tri channel initially, but as Z68 doesn't support this then Dual channel it is, but I'm not surprised that it will take a new board to use Quad channel, but I guess as Quad is 2xDual channel it may of been a hope of it happening lol.

Thanks for all the pointers people, hopefully will get this in the next week or so. :b33r::b33r:

The i7 2600k is by far and away the better processor. For that little extra, I'd get it.

Looks like everyting else should be good to go...

• 2 months later...

Right sorry for a slow update, but had so much on recently I had no time to finish this, but been looking and think I have found the best deal, could anyone confirm I have the best choices please ?

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Intel Z68 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail

8GB G.Skill RipJawsX (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Kit - F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

OCZ Vertex 3 60GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive

Hoping for a quick reply, only just found this site and these are on a weekend especial, so not sure how long the prices will stay that way, but it's a fair saving (£40 odd), graphics card is the only thing they don't have in a 460, only 2 MSI options, so will need to source that elsewhere, but not a problem, so long as these parts go well together.

Edited by 8210GUY

Well put the order in, hacked off that drive prices have gone crazy, meant I have had to put my 2TB on hold for a bit, I just hope they come down in price again not to far in the future, it may take me a while to put it together, I want to mod my board tray to tidy cables better, but will post a pit test when done so you can see how it goes, then you can see if you want to alter anything you are looking at, Thanks for all the help guy's. :b33rmug:

Well put the order in, hacked off that drive prices have gone crazy, meant I have had to put my 2TB on hold for a bit, I just hope they come down in price again not to far in the future, it may take me a while to put it together, I want to mod my board tray to tidy cables better, but will post a pit test when done so you can see how it goes, then you can see if you want to alter anything you are looking at, Thanks for all the help guy's. :b33rmug:

I'm certain you're gonna love it! I've worked with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe and UEFI BIOS and it was great, I can only imagine that the P8Z68 board is better.

Well if I can boot in 5 seconds ish I will be over the moon lol, keep seeing people say the systems they have do it, hope mine can lol, but just added the following video card to the collection, saved me a bit more money, hopefully it is worth the money.

Edited by 8210GUY