Dell 1545 Wont Install Windows

sooo i have a problem i have a dell 1545 laptop that had windows vista on it and the harddrive crashed well bought a new one a couple months ago and reinstalled windows vista and everything went good and now one day i went to start the computer and it just hung at the loading screen for windows

soo i went to reinstall windows and i keep getting a error right before it tries to install its self 0x80070017 windows cannot install required files. the file may be corrupt or missing make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation error code 0x80070017

this is a legit windows vista 64bit disk and i also tried a windows 7 disk as well and it gets the same thing and i ALSO tried a linux suse disk and it just freezes during the install....

i went out and bought another HDD brand new this morning and i get the same thing still.....

• 3 weeks later...

sooo i have a problem i have a dell 1545 laptop that had windows vista on it and the harddrive crashed well bought a new one a couple months ago and reinstalled windows vista and everything went good and now one day i went to start the computer and it just hung at the loading screen for windows

soo i went to reinstall windows and i keep getting a error right before it tries to install its self 0x80070017 windows cannot install required files. the file may be corrupt or missing make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation error code 0x80070017

this is a legit windows vista 64bit disk and i also tried a windows 7 disk as well and it gets the same thing and i ALSO tried a linux suse disk and it just freezes during the install....

i went out and bought another HDD brand new this morning and i get the same thing still.....

With a laptop, you can install windows 7 from a usb drive, and not have to worry about using your disk drive.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Type msconfig in your search bar.When the box comes up click on startup at the top and make sure it is on normal startup.Then boot from the disk and all should be ok.
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

My name is SUBHANKAR and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Confirm HDD is recognized in BIOS. If Yes,follow next step. If NO, load BIOS defaults and reseat HDD.

Then take out the memory & then install the operating system on to the hard drive.

Once done with installation of operating system then put the memory back in.

Restart the system & hope that would resolve the issue.

Thanks,

DELL-Subhankar S

take out the memory & then install the operating system on to the hard drive. Once done with installation of operating system then put the memory back in.

What??

First, Subhankar, how can the PC could possibly function with the memory removed?

Second, posting to a much outdated thread (this is nearly a year old) is unlikely to be helpful — if the problem had not been resolved long ago, IceBear would probably have said as much.

Third, bumping these old threads simply clutters the topic list, and may annoy members who find they've wasted their time on outdated material.

Edited by TomGL2