Change Mode

Windows Defender

xtroop

i have a new HP desktop, win 7 premium and i am not really familiar with it. i am used to XP.

i came across a program called windows defender under the C drive. it is not listed in add/remove programs or revo uninstaller. it will not let me delete it and states...you do no have permission from trustedinstaller to delete this program. i am admin and only user. i have avast av, antispyware and malwarebytes installed. how can i delete defender or should i delete. and what is it,,,an AV program or just an antispyware program..it is now set to run only on demand. i do know you can't have 2 AVs running at the same time.

Thanks

Here's what it is: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-defender

Almost everyone has it, without really knowing it exists on their machine.

Historically Windows Defender has had a few conflicts with installed Antivirus, but none I know of currently

It is possible to set Windows Defender to Disabled by setting its Service to Disabled

Thanks for the info. i assume defender and avast would not conflict. i'll give it a try.

Should be OK.

If not, use the above linked instructions to Disable the Service of Windows Defender.

Archived