Change Mode

Hi recently i had purchased computer parts and assembled them and i received the 2 months free antivirus usage from norton and yesterday i have expired the period and also satisfied with the performance but it is bit costly can anybofy help me out with the cheap and best antivirus available.

Use Norton removal tool, then do a search for any norton left behind, Also check registry if you know how.

I use Avast & the Basic Comodo Firewall. Malwarebytes to scan once a month.

I would go with Avast Download it from the Avast website.

you haven't mentioned a firewall, which is as important as an AV.

You can simply use the on-board firewall, which has been considerably improved over preceding editions. A good free 3rd-party choice might be on-line armor. A lot of people swear by the Comodo firewall; I've tried it a couple of times and found that it requires some baby-sitting, especially at first.

Edited by poru
  • 2 weeks later...

i think Norton 2011 is definitely worth the price and has done well in tests

Your opinion of Norton and the facts about it aren't well received here. I've fought this battle since '09 when they got their stuff together w/ NIS '09.

Your opinion of Norton and the facts about it aren't well received here. I've fought this battle since '09 when they got their stuff together w/ NIS '09.

Trouble is the damage was done to Nortons reputation prior to NIS 09.

By the time this came out most people had jumped ship and joined the many free applications that were available. Now with NIS '11 about, it is up against an even more fragmented market where people prefer to use a firewall, AV solution and Malware protection all from different suppliers, and also MS gives an almost total solution for free, not an easy market to remain in when the name has been dragged through the mud.

I personally have no issues with Norton, and would probably still use it had my internet bank not offered the latest full retail version of Kapersky and 3 licences for free.

While it is true Norton had a horrible reputation for being a resource hog, and back in '04 thru '06 it damn near impossible to remove it from your pc ( acted like a virus). Since '09 I also have read reviews that it's done an about face, slimmed down on it's resource uses and has become user friendly, and I do not have any issues with Norton today but I do not think they will ever regain what they have lost for a dedicated consumer base.

It's a very tough market for anybody in this economy, especially when there are very good freebie alternatives. I see McAfee is still popular, not that I think it's any good because it's not. But it has :filtered:'d itself to many isp's and pc companies for trail and freebie installs many are using it, and as far as I know of....it does not rate high amongst the monthly a/v tests we see from different reviewers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is an excellent performance test review. Just a good read for general insight along with graphs and various tests performed in comparison to not using an AV....so its nice to see a Before and After picture of each one. http://blog.tune-up.com/windows-insights/do-security-solutions-slow-down-your-pc-part-1-introduction

ESET smart security had the best overall showing the least performance impact compared to Windows without an AV. Norton 2011 did very well which is what i've been using for a while now but think i may switch to Eset when it expires.Preferably, i'd rather use MS security essentials but didnt have the best performance for gaming which i do much of but you would think MS would do a better job considering they made the OS as well but whatever

edited your link so that it should work better

Edited by caintry_boy
  • 2 weeks later...

most of the antivirus programs offer a free trial

try them all They are all pretty good

i went back to norton i did give up on it for awhile

But the real way to protect yourself is you

on another comp i use the free trial of avast and its doing well

been using it for about 4 years now

use the new norton about 3 years

was not too impress with trend house call

good luck on what you choose

I echo other comments about Norton. It nearly ruined by computer in 2004. It wouldn't uninstall. It was a big resource hog. It partly uninstalled leaving a box that filled my whole screen every five seconds:"partly uninstalled, alert". I am serious. I am not trying to be funny. Task manager wouldn't get rid of this virusesque pop up. Nothing would. I had to use winpatrol to kill it. I vowed from then on that I would sooner have 3 hackers, jack the ripper and Marquis De Sade into my computer than any damned Norton junk.

Now I use kaspersky. It's much better.

Edited by netstar

The Norton comments are totally rational, everyone knows software never changes in a span of 7 yrs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tx Redneck

Norton is completely different than it was prior. You don't even know its there, like MSE except more security features. Though all modern security solutions do nothing without a secure minded user. Knowledge is the best security package you could ever invest in.