Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Having Some Trouble With Wireless

OpenSUSE 11.4 KDE 4.6.0 with kernel 2.6.37.1-1.2

Wireless is not an available option, only onboard ethernet port is seen.

I don't have access to wired connection, but here is what I got in terminal/konsole.

lsusb shows Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13B1:002f Linksys AE1000 v1 802.11n [Ralink RT2870]

iwconfig -- lo   no wireless extensions
                	eth0   no wireless extensions

sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
lo	Interface doesn't support scanning
eth0   Interface doesn't support scanning

ifdown eth0
eth0 device: Intel 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet controller

ifup wlan0
Interface wlan0 is not available

Also looked into Yast -> Network Settings -> Global Options and there is a choice for either User controlled with NetworkManager or Traditional Method with ifup.

Found this through a google search, seems someone else is having trouble too.. though no response.

http://forums.opensu...cisco-card.html

Tried following this one to see if it would help any and no luck. Maybe due to different adapter.

http://forums.opensu...k-settings.html

Any ideas?

seems you need the RT3572USB drivers from ralink :- http://www.ralinktec...support.php?s=2

here's where i found the info :- http://forums.fedora...d.php?p=1353558

it's for fedora but i think it should help you enough to get it working on suse.

:b33r:

OK, gave this a try and got as far as un-tar the .bz2 file for the driver. It un-tars the file and then tells me that the contents are an empty file.

which file?

I just downloaded a couple files to test from there site and they all contained a driver.

RT3572USB 04/27/2011 version 2.5.0.0

Edited by terry1966

downloaded and extracted fine here.

I suggest downloading it again. ;)

i wonder if we're missing some dependencies or something then, when i download and extract it all i got was a file 2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO and like justin it says it's an empty document of 0B's. :shrug:

the zip archive is 4.1 Mib's on my download.

been such a long time since i've messed with zipped files i have no idea what he's got to do. :laughing:

Edited by terry1966

terry, are you running a command to extract it? or just right-clicking and choosing "extract here" (or similar)? if i right-click and extract, i get the same presumably empty .DOB file, which in ubuntu i can right-click on again and choose "extract here" again.... which then creates/extracts a folder with the driver in it. don't think you can do that in suse though, so...

try opening a terminal and run a command like the following:

tar -C ~/Downloads/ -xf ~/Downloads/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO.bz2

btw, i downloaded the file to my home folders "Downloads" folder....thus the "~/Downloads" in the above command, you will have to edit that part to wherever you downloaded the file to.

it then extracted a folder in my Downloads directory called: "2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO" with the driver and everything you need in it.

hope that helps

Edited by numerounoyankeefan

that command worked perfectly numerounoyankeefan, :tup:

all i was doing before was right clicking and extracting here. :lol:

so there you go justin, follow numerounoyankeefan instructions and run that command to extract the files needed. ;)

Edited by terry1966

I right clicked selected extract here, and I got everything. :shrug:

:shrug: me too,

i can't think of a reason why it only worked using command line and not with ark or just right click extract here. :lol:

I did do through terminal the first time... maybe a typo or missed one of the switches in the command?

Any how, got it extracted now. But I'm not understanding what I should do next...

I read the included text file and tried to do as it says, but got an error.

Build Instructions:

====================

1> $tar -xvzf RT3572_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x.tgz

go to "./RT3572_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x" directory.

Am I supposed to type that in and what should happen?

I got as far as step 3 on the Fedora forum link and that's where terminal gives me an error.

./os/linux/config.mk does not exist

At least I think that's what it said. I'm not allowed a wired connection here and have to switch back and forth between Suse and Windows so I can get online through Windows and then back to Suse to actually do it.

I'm so confused... my head hurts and I feel like I'm going to fall over.....

I have a feeling that all this is unnecessary, as the driver is likely already in the kernel.

It would likely be a simple matter of correct Yast configuration.

My guess is simply with the ethernet cable plugged in, and set for boot or on cable connection that the wireless simply doesn't start.

Set ethernet to manual, and wlan0 for on boot.

I did do through terminal the first time... maybe a typo or missed one of the switches in the command?

Any how, got it extracted now. But I'm not understanding what I should do next...

I read the included text file and tried to do as it says, but got an error.

Am I supposed to type that in and what should happen?

I got as far as step 3 on the Fedora forum link and that's where terminal gives me an error.

./os/linux/config.mk does not exist

At least I think that's what it said. I'm not allowed a wired connection here and have to switch back and forth between Suse and Windows so I can get online through Windows and then back to Suse to actually do it.

I'm so confused... my head hurts and I feel like I'm going to fall over.....

just to answer your question "Am I supposed to type that in and what should happen?" no.

you should of download the RT3572USB driver into your downloads folder, then open dolphin, navigate to the downloads folder, hit F4 key to open a terminal, type in the command and run it to extract the files

tar -C ~/Downloads/ -xf ~/Downloads/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO.bz2
now in dolphin you should see a new folder in the downloads folder called "2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO" just click on it to enter it(you should see in the terminal it changes your location to the new directory), now probably what you need to do is just run make install, to make and install the driver, not read the instructions but if memory serves that's what you usually have to do, then modeprobe it to make sure it's installed/running, finally go into yast to setup the wireless adaptor.

Edited by terry1966