Change Mode

At Wits End - Browser Redirects

Hi guys,

I have read all previous topics on browser misdirect issues, not to mention tried to solve this on my own with the power of the internet at my finger tips. Alas, nothing has worked.

What happened:

I received an email from "IRS" and the e-mail was very convincing. My Wife and I had some major issues with our previous taxes, and other reasons I don't wish to share I truly believed that it was a legit e-mail, and even if it wasn't I foolishly thought my Anti-Virus would let me know otherwise. I opened the email - tried to download the attachment claiming to be the 'letter', and seconds later I got hard drive failures, 37% of my HD was damaged and the rest of my PC was pretty much unable to function. I immediately ran McAfee and was able to remove the trojan. A few of my programs simply 'vanished', and taking some advice from my room-mate I did a system restore. Everything seemed fine, the HD issue was fixed, programs were restored, I was able to surf the internet again.

Other batch of issues: All other web browsers besides Safari and Internet explorers no longer work. I've used Firefox for years, never had issues, and had it crash up to 50 times straight before I just gave up. While doing a search on bing, yahoo, google, whatever, I click a link and I get misdirected 2-3x before I am sometimes returned to the original search area. I am able to hit the back button a few times on my browser to get to the intended link, then copy/paste from there. Without copy/pasting, it takes about 6 times to get to the link just by clicking and reloading. Very annoying - you can imagine how many times I've had to click just to find some advice on fixing this problem.

What I've done so far:

1.) System restore

2.) Reseted computer to factory settings with backed up files

3.) Problem persisted, so reseted computer to factory settings *again* without backing up any files.

3.) Tried almost every Freeware program I could get my hands on that could remove spyware/malware/viruses

a.) McAfee

b.) Piriform CC Cleaner

c.) Malwarebyte Anti-Malware

d.) Advanced System Care

e.) McAfee Stinger

f.) ComboFix,( logs available )

g.) Spyware Terminator (uninstalled)

h.) Lavasoft Ad-Aware (uninstalled)

i.) Spybot (uninstalled)

j.) Hijack This, have not ran yet

k.) Have DDS file ready

l.) PC Pitstop Exterminate

Walkthrough of TDSSserv.sys disable - does not apply as it does not show up on my computer.

Upon further reading I wish I could reverse some of the things I've done - such as not getting the name of the Trojan my AV first picked up and removed - saving said logs and probably not running so many programs to fix this on my own.

I'm not sure what else I can do, please help :(

Thanks for any helpful replies...

- Justin

Hi ChillSaint00 and Welcome to The PIT!

Download HiJackThis and save it to it's own folder on your desktop. Open the program and select to "Do a scan and save a log". After the scan finishes it will open in Notepad, copy/paste the contents into another thread that you start here > http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/25-hijackthis-logs/

Please be patient and wait for help from one of our Trusted Advisors there, they are quite busy.

:geezer:

Hi ChillSaint00 and Welcome to The PIT!

Download HiJackThis and save it to it's own folder on your desktop. Open the program and select to "Do a scan and save a log". After the scan finishes it will open in Notepad, copy/paste the contents into another thread that you start here > http://forums.pcpits...ijackthis-logs/

Please be patient and wait for help from one of our Trusted Advisors there, they are quite busy.

:geezer:

Thank you very much for the reply, log is posted!

- Justin