Change Mode

A nice alternative to using an SSD as a boot drive.

Quite a difference in the benchmarks. :tup:

It's good to see these drives being utilized more frequently and now with alternative configurations.

:) Y

A nice alternative to using an SSD as a boot drive.

Quite a difference in the benchmarks. :tup:

It's good to see these drives being utilized more frequently and now with alternative configurations.

Hi Y Kawaki, it's been a very very long time! :) Been well I hope? :)

Been well I hope? :)

:tup:

Always good to see ya on the boards old friend. Thanks for the info from gigabyte.

I'm sure other manufacturers will follow along the same lines.

Hopefully these developments will help to bring the SSD costs per gig further down.

not exactly what i'd call a hd performance increase, yes certainly would improve os use in certain situations, but i have a few reservations about using an ssd for cache alone, besides wasted space.

i thought ideally you wanted to limit the amount of writes to an ssd because of increased failure rates, and why the setup recommendations for ssd's included using memory for cache/switching off cache in web browsers etc,etc.

so wouldn't using one dedicated for cache alone fly in the face of best use/setup practices? :shrug:

very nice speed increases tho. :lol:

:b33r:

once the data is on the drive, it would be mostly used for reading, not so much for web browsers but for running other software and booting up

from my understanding joe, it's cache, so would be written to as often as the page/data changes and would definitely be used for web page caches which change often. the only advantage maybe is because of the amount of space the same part of the drive won't necessarily be written too as often as when the cache size is the usual equal/2x memory size.

Edited by terry1966

does it mean you can make more writes to a cell before failure?? i'm not sure, :shrug:

what it does mean tho is the same cell doesn't get written too as often, ;)

just because with only 1 bit per cell you don't need to write to that cell if that bit doesn't change unlike mlc ssd's where the same cell needs to be written to for changes to either the first or second bit in it.

it also means if a cell fails you lose 2ce the capacity of data storage. ;)

but i agree slc would be my choice too. :tup:

Edited by terry1966

I think you'll find performance increased as drivers and newer profiles are developed. Very cutting edge stuff.

In addition, this will open a door to phone and tablets using flash drives for cache, there by increasing thier performance as well. :)

X_C

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I originally set up my 120 G Vertex drive with a 20G partition just for cache for my 1TB WD Black. It scored almost 2X better reads and writes in benchmarks but I didn't see much use for it because I switched between so many programs on a daily basis that I wasn't getting it's full benefit. If you only used 1 or 2 programs and those programs always remained in cache it would be great but that's not how a typical user uses his computer. Well maybe they do and I am just the odd ball :-)

I moved my Vertex to my laptop now and just run my 2 Kingston drives in RAID 0 for the OS and all my commonly used programs.This provide me with plenty of room to just load all the programs I run on a daily basis. SSD manufactures are manufacturing small drives for pretty cheap just for this purpose but as the prices of SSD's comes down I think this technology will become obsolete.

I originally set up my 120 G Vertex drive with a 20G partition just for cache for my 1TB WD Black. It scored almost 2X better reads and writes in benchmarks but I didn't see much use for it because I switched between so many programs on a daily basis that I wasn't getting it's full benefit. If you only used 1 or 2 programs and those programs always remained in cache it would be great but that's not how a typical user uses his computer. Well maybe they do and I am just the odd ball :-)

Good to see you still coming around Section8, I see you have a new "thoroughbred" rig too...

I was thinking about setting this up when I build my new rig next spring; but, may hold off now that you pointed that out.

:geezer: