Change Mode

Repair Damage After Major Infection (how To)

cheifhoho

Hello,

I know my way around computers but ran into a problem recently that I have spent hours on with limited success. My friend broght me his son's computer which would go black screen as soon as he tried logging in. This happens while logging in to the guest accout too. I first ran AVG boot disk and it had multiple infections. Then did a sys restore from boot disk. This got me to a point where I could log in and get the desktop to load. I was going to transfer some tools from my flash drive and it would recognize the device but not install. Here are the details of the current situation:

Vista Home Premium SP2 on Toshiba L355

can't access command prompt/ task manager does work though

won't run rkill, gmer, or combofix, just hangs

can only install programs if you go online and choose run. Cannot run install from saved location on computer.

can't access disk manager, just hangs

won't run command prompt from install DVD but would run file check from DVD

can't access sys restore from system, only from boot disk

usb doesn't load, but can use optical drive

ran mbam, installed from online, (came up clean), but super antispyware did install but hangs if you try to run

ran Kaspersky boot av and came up clean

does have internet connection and seems to work fine

won't install Windows updates ( I used the oldest restore point to make it functional )

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Probably an obvious answer but noting all your problems,Format using Dban CD

http://www.dban.org/
and clean install,an hours work at most..good luck.

Yes I knew that! It just seemed to me that they might be all related to one main issue in registry. Don't want to lose all his stuff. I did see in a search about doing an upgrade install with Vista disk. Maybe I'll give that a try if no one else has any suggestions. BTW I don't remember the name of the worm AVG cleaned but thought someone must have dealt with this before. Thank You though!

I did see in a search about doing an upgrade install with Vista disk. Maybe I'll give that a try if no one else has any suggestions.

I had a similar situation and the upgrade install wouldn't take.

It's frustrating, because the most logical culprets are corrupt system files, yet sfc /scannow, which should resolve the issue, will not run in this situation.

I ended up saving, formatting and reinstalling clean. I hope that you have better luck than I did Chief.

Here's my adventure: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/194402-no-windows-updates/

:) Y

Archived