Change Mode

Cannot Test In Ie8

I've been trying to test my system at the Overdrive page, but Internet Explorer 8 simple won't load the page. I have gotten an error message that tells me IE can't load the page, and has done "Data Execution Prevention".

How do I stop DEP from stopping the tests? I'm running XP, though DEP instructions at microsoft are geared toward Vista users...

I checked to make sure Active X controls were as recommended, and also the security level for Internet Zone. I ran IE without add-ons, same trouble.

I hate Microsoft and don't normally use IE. Not sure what to do.

I thought about uninstalling IE8 and going back to 7, but microsoft tells me I have to uninstall SP3 first. This is a real pain! :pullhair:

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks a bunch,

beachbirdie :sparkle:

Edited by beachbirdie

I've been trying to test my system at the Overdrive page, but Internet Explorer 8 simple won't load the page. I have gotten an error message that tells me IE can't load the page, and has done "Data Execution Prevention".

How do I stop DEP from stopping the tests? I'm running XP, though DEP instructions at microsoft are geared toward Vista users...

I checked to make sure Active X controls were as recommended, and also the security level for Internet Zone. I ran IE without add-ons, same trouble.

I thought about uninstalling IE8 and going back to 7, but microsoft tells me I have to uninstall SP3 first. This is a real pain! :pullhair:

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks a bunch,

Download this free Repair tool { cintrep } it is a Complete IE explorer repair tool. Check the box Repair IE8.

Works wonders. Ebray

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks a bunch,

Are you using the 64 bit or 32 bit version of IE8? OverDrive will only run in the 32 bit version.

I'm guessing that Explorer is 32-bit, when I look at "about explorer" all I see is version 8 and no reference to 32- or 64-bit. From what I found (please correct me if I'm wrong!) it would show up if I had 64-bit.

Could it be broken because it was installed before I got SP3?

Or, could my recent rootkit cleanup have messed it up?

:huh:

Thanks,

beachbirdie

Edited by beachbirdie

Rootkit cleanup is one possiblity, but let's start with finding out if Active X still works.

Please run our Active X test from this link and let us know the results:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp

Also, take a look here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-8-stops-workingdata-execution/3e658be7-7d29-4218-9c20-91324c9ec965

I tried going to the link, and Explorer gives me an error message. The tab says "Webpage error".

The page says:

Webpage error

Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on.

Other things you can do:

Go online to learn about the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) security feature

I cannot even view the page with Explorer, it doesn't give me a chance. I can see the page with Firefox, but the active x doesn't work. I cannot see the date and time, it just says "Active x not supported"...and, of course, the solution is to use Explorer. Which, of course, won't work.:thud:

My Active X is broke?

The knowledge base article is applicable to Vista users. When I click the link about removing IE8, I get taken here. Is it safe to undo SP3 to get rid of IE8? I don't want to catch any more malware. :shrug:

Thanks!

beachbirdie

You may want to first try to work with DEP directly.

Here are a couple of ways you can try to either reconfigure DEP or just turn it off:

1- Click Start >> Control Panel >>Select System

2- On System Properties Click the Advanced tab.

In the Performance region select Settings

3- Click the Data Execute tab in the dialog box that opens

4- Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select

then Click Add.

5- The open dialog box will open. Browse and select your application.

6- Click Open

7- Click [Apply] Then Click [Ok]

Reboot your machine and try to open any program/application.

How to Turn DEP OFF:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Edit the Boot.ini to include<noexecute=AlwaysOff>:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home

Edition" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect