:sparkle: Hello, I like the new look! Things sure have changed since I was last here. :rocks:

I have a problem with my Dell Inspirion 1440 laptop, I have Windows 7 and the computer is about 2yrs old. I have not had the need for System

Restore until a few weeks ago and I installed a program that changed things I didn't like. When I go to do a system restore I get a message

saying "no restore points have been created on your computers system drive, to create a restore point open "System Protection"(hyperlink)

I click the link and get an error message saying " unexpected error in the property page, please try to run System restore again(0x8100203)

please close the property page and try again"

In the system properties box there is a tab for "system protection" which has system restore settings, in 'protection settings' there's a place for

available drives and the word "searching" is under available drives and it doesn't change. I cant configure restore settings,manage disk space etc.. I also cant create a restore point by selecting a drive and configuring because there's no drive to select. :pullhair:I don't know how to fix this and I

hope someone can suggest something. Thank you for taking the time to read this and your help is very appreciated. :tup:

Check to see if the program you installed has a feature to roll back any changes it made. Try that first before attempting to fix or repair system restore.

Check to see if the program you installed has a feature to roll back any changes it made. Try that first before attempting to fix or repair system restore.

I'm not sure what program it was..I uninstalled what I had downloaded that day in attempt to fix the problem but it didn't help and I'm not sure it was the program that did it, like i said I never have used the system restore in the two years I have had this laptop so I don't know how long it hasn't been working.

I also looked at the volume shadow copy to make sure it was set to auto and on and it didn't help either. I also tried F8 at system start up and used the system restore there but it wouldn't let me into a point to do a restore. I'm hoping I don't have to do a image reset or another option for fear of losing my pics or music. I know I can back them up on a USB but I don't trust it.

Thank you for your help

First thing is:

What exactly is the problem? You say it's "Changed things you don't like", but what has changed - maybe we can fix it that way instead of doing a factory restore. I would start looking at ways to backup pics and music to external media - DVD, USB or external Hard drive, in case a restore is the only option.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My name is SUBHANKAR & I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Its not clear what exactly is the error or what all steps you are trying to do however after multiple attempts if system restore does not work try FACTORY RESTORE which will delete all datas however try using an external hard drive or an USB Flash drive to back up all datas & then try for Factory restore by continuously tapping F8 after powering on the system.

Hope that would resolve the issue.

Thanks,

DELL-Subhankar S.