Change Mode

Pc Won't Start - Please Help!

pward33

Hi,

My PC seemed top become infected with the common fake "your PC is at risk" alert/virus last night so I rebooted - but now it won't start! I get the "Microsoft Windows" window but it won't go any further so I can't do a virus scan or anything. I have tried starting in the "last windows configuration that worked successfully" option but the same thing happens.

I am a complete technophobe so if anyone could help, using layman's language, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers in advance.

Hi,

My PC seemed top become infected with the common fake "your PC is at risk" alert/virus last night so I rebooted - but now it won't start! I get the "Microsoft Windows" window but it won't go any further so I can't do a virus scan or anything. I have tried starting in the "last windows configuration that worked successfully" option but the same thing happens.

I am a complete technophobe so if anyone could help, using layman's language, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers in advance.

While booting the PC, try tapping the F8 key to get a boot menu, choose Safe Mode and run your scans.

Do you have these programs?

SUPERAntispyware

Malwarebytes

:geezer:

Hello,

Thank you for this.

Although it usually stops at the Windows page on one occasion it ran chkdsk first and told me lost files were being recovered; it then returned to the Windows page.

I have not installed any new hardware or software.

Initially I was given a message:

'TR/Rootkit.gen3(Trojan) detected in file 'C:\windows\systen32\drivers\1335E.sys.

I started my computer in Safe Mode as you suggested and ran RKill (which detected nothing) and AVG antivirus software - I don't have the ones you mentioned. It claimed to have detected a number of threats and suggested rebooting. I did this but was greeted by the Blue Screen of Death before Windows even loaded. The BSOD codes are:

Stop:0x0000007B (OXF7BBB5242), OXC000000E

I was given this PC but a local office who were upgrading their machines so don't have any startup disks.

Is there any hope?:pullhair:

While booting the PC, try tapping the F8 key to get a boot menu, choose Safe Mode and run your scans.

Do you have these programs?

SUPERAntispyware

Malwarebytes

On a search for that error message I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Let's try booting into Safe Mode w/Networking. See if you can download the two files that I linked to:

SUPERAntispyware Download, install, update and run a full/complete scan.

Malwarebytes Here's how to run Malwarebytes...

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results. SUPERAntispyware also produces a log. Please post it also...

Hi, thanks for getting back. I have downloaded the files you linked to onto a USB stick in an internet cafe; the problem is even when I try to log on in safe mode w/networking I get the Blue Screen of Death immediately, before I have chance to use the files, if you see what I mean. Is all lost...?

Hi, thanks for getting back. I have downloaded the files you linked to onto a USB stick in an internet cafe; the problem is even when I try to log on in safe mode w/networking I get the Blue Screen of Death immediately, before I have chance to use the files, if you see what I mean. Is all lost...?

Not lost yet...if you have the files on a USB stick, then just tap F8 and choose "Safe Mode", this should let you boot with the minimum of drivers and give you a chance to insert the USB stick and run the files. ;)

some computers have a recovery partition on the hard drive. This recovery partition can restore the pc to the time when it was first taken out of the box. We can check this out for you if it is an oem pc (meaning a Dell or an HP or any store bought pc) if you can provide us with the make, model and serial/service tag numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for your kind reply. It's taken me a while to get back as I've not even been able to afford an internet café being computerless is a nightmare for me, particularly as an eBay seller, and so any further help based on below would be appreciated … even if only to tell me I'm buggered and need a new computer!!

Firstly in response to the two suggestions above, the machine is a

DELL PRECISION 380

Unfortunately pressing F8 doesn't allow me into Safe Mode for some reason, making me think things are even more serious?

At the moment, I have managed to get a Windows Installation disk so thought it might be best to reinstall Windows XP, yet don't seem to be able to do so. If you could bear with me while I try to describe what happens, perhaps you could advise further..?

When I enter the disk I am told that:

Drive 1 not found : Serial ATA SAT1-1

Drive 2 not found : Serial ATA SAT1-2

Drive 3 not found : Serial ATA SAT1-3

Drive 5 not found :

When I then pressed F12 for the Boot Menu I selected to boot from CD ROM

I selected F1 to continue and any key to enter Setup from the CD. After Setup runs for a few minutes and claims to be "Starting Windows", I am given three options:

· To set up XP press Enter

· To repair using the recovery Console, press R

· To Quit, press F3

When I tried the first option in the above list, I was asked to agree the licence, then given a "list of existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this PC" followed by three more options:

· Set up XP on selected item, press enter

· Create a partition, press C

· Delete selected partition, press D

Below this appeared a box saying: UNKNOWN DISK (there is no disk in this drive)

Pressing enter produced a new blue Screen of death with:

Stop Code 0X0000008E Setupdd.sys. Address F77F8CFD base at F77CF000 Datestamp 3d6dd67F

If I tried the second option from 5 paragraphs above (ie To repair using the recovery Console, press R), nothing seems to happen except a DOS prompt.

I think that's about it I really hope that's enough information for some kind soul to give me a diagnosis. I'm suspecting it's a major hard drive problem because it doesn't seem to be able to see my hard drive if my layman's interpretation of the above gibberish is remotely correct!

As always, with deep appreciation in advance,

Pward33.

Edited by pward33

While running your XP disk, have your SATA/RAID drivers loaded on USB stick or floppy disk and on booting when it says boot to CD hit enter, it will then say "Press F6 to enter 3rd party drivers. Press F6 and it should give you the option to load the drivers. When you get to these options

To set up XP press Enter

· To repair using the recovery Console, press R

· To Quit, press F3

When I tried the first option in the above list, I was asked to agree the licence, then given a "list of existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this PC" followed by three more options:

· Set up XP on selected item, press enter

· Create a partition, press C

· Delete selected partition, press D

you should go with "To set up Windows XP" and press Enter. I would delete all partitions by pressing "D" (make sure you don't have a USB stick inserted) and then creating new partitions by pressing "C" and entering the size that you'd like. (MS considers 1024Mb to be 1Gb). When finished creating your partitions, select to install on drive C and format using NTFS (do the full format, not quick) This will take some time depending on the size of the drive. After, you can go into Windows and My Computer and format your other partitions.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for your patience and for bearing with me on this - every time I think it's all over you give me hope that I might be able to sort the problem.

However, please excuse my ignorance - I really am a technophobe - can you tell me what "SATA/RAID drivers" are and where I can get them....?

Thanks again!

Hi thanks for your patience and for bearing with me on this - every time I think it's all over you give me hope that I might be able to sort the problem.

However, please excuse my ignorance - I really am a technophobe - can you tell me what "SATA/RAID drivers" are and where I can get them....?

Thanks again!

Those are the drivers for SATA drives needed for Windows. You should be able to find them on the motherboard CD under Drivers/IDE or the likes; there could possibly be a program to create a floppy or USB stick which will put the drivers on disk for you. You can also find them at the mobo manufacturers website.

You'll want these:

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

SATA/RAID driver to be put on floppy/USB