Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpmackay

Defragmenting Too Long?

I find one part in the program of PC Matic took too long. It's Disk Defragmenting. I started at 6:00 p.m. and now at 9:35 p.m. and almost done on 160GB hard drive in my laptop, Compaq Presario M2105CA. Is that normal to defrag that long. I know with other like Microsoft Disk Defragmentor doesn't take long but with this no. I think that this part of defragmenting should cut down in half not forever.

Thank you,

John

To say for sure what is going on we would need to get some more information from you through a help desk ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

However, if from the PC Matic Options>Scan Options menu you have selected the "Full" option for the "Type of Disk Optimization", that option actually moves every single file on the hard drive to be as close as possible to the outer edge of the platter(s). That process can take hours the first time it is run, depending on the size of the drive, the amount of data, the speed of the processor, etc. Once the process has completed, however, subsequent defrags will be much quicker.

As a note, using another defragger can move those files again, causing the Full Optimization to again take a long time. Only one defragger should be used on a computer to avoid spending time moving files back and forth.