Change Mode

Possible Wrong Registry Key Deleted, Help!

cktam

Dear All,

I was sorting out the Malware or nasty thing Vista Total Security 2011. And I followed the guide shown below.

I went to regedit like they said and deleted something in the registry.

I deleted 4 registry in total I think;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\IEXPLORER.EXE\Shell\Open\command And deleted the value there

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command And deleted the two values I think, both of them I think ends with "%1"%

I think that was it, and after I though these registries have been deleted, I closed regedit and restarted my laptop.

Once loaded, the desktop's background changed, the widgets are all gone.

Then when I try to click on regedit or system restore a message pops up saying;

"C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe"

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel.

This is the website I was following last night:

http://www.pchubs.co...talsecurity2011

I got to step 7 and started deleting the top 4 registry values I think. After that I close the regedit and restarted my laptop. Just to mention I can open MS Word and normal pictures if that helps you to determine whats wrong.

I downloaded HiJackThis and installed it fine, but when I click on the .exe file, I couldn't run it, the error said:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

Any help!?

Yeh the thing is I can't open up my internet browsers, as the same error message will come up. So how will I update it?

Also do you mean the problem with my laptop now, is actually a registry messed-up and I will need to reinstall the whole of window to get them back?

I just tried the restore thing and hit enter, it came back saying:

' C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

And thats it nothing happened, so I shut it down and now waiting for your suggestions for the next move.

Are you running XP? O.K., do you have your Windows CD? I'd toss it in the tray and do a "repair install" of Windows if it was me.

Just go through the motions like you were going to install Windows but after the F8 part to accept the EULA it will tell you that it's found another Windows installation and ask if you want to repair it or do a clean install, chose repair. This will just replace all Windows files and shouldn't harm your other programs and fav. stuff...

Here's a better explanation > Fred Langa

For Visa/Windows7 :

When you boot from the Vista/Win7 installation cd, It asks you for choosing language & location & then you go to a page 'Windows Vista/Windows7 with option 'Install now'

On this same page you can see an option "Repair your computer" This option is at the bottom left corner.

It works like Xp & it wont delete any of your files.

:geezer:

Okay Thank you for both of your help, I used Jacee's way to get the .reg and .exe registry values back.

And now I can open up those extensions back which is cool. I have just restarted my laptop so do you suggest me to run the HJT and the DSS scan?

Just to check if my laptop is now clean before I install the Window vista SP2 update?

Also is there any point in me installing Avast free edition and scrap the AVG free edition?

I have just restarted my laptop so do you suggest me to run the HJT and the DSS scan?

Just to check if my laptop is now clean before I install the Window vista SP2 update?

Also is there any point in me installing Avast free edition and scrap the AVG free edition?

Yes and yes.

:geezer:

Hello I have posted the HJT and DSS log scans onto the right section of the forum, please review them.

I have named the topic with the same name,

Possible Wrong Registry Key Deleted, Help! HJT log scan

Please review them thank you.

Edited by cktam