Change Mode

Computer Locks Up. Don't Know Why

Hi,

I'm seeking help to find out why my computer is locking up. It isn't always the same. Sometimes it happens in a few minutes, other times it will work for a long time before it locks up. It happens when my browser is open and it happens when the browser is closed.

Once in a while I get that popup that says a new connection has been found and asks me if I want to let it in the Internet Zone, or something like that.

I have run virus scans and they find nothing.

Please help,

anoldlady

I'm very confused. I've been trying to figure out how to post my results to you but can't figure out what I am supposed to do after running the pit test. It mentions some sort of express ID but I can't find such a thing.

Here is the URL of the results of my test, along with the results it found....

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24403490&report=Summary

World DesktopRank = Bottom 33%

Test Description

(Click each item for more Detail) Area Result Status

Increase Free Space (Drive C:) Performance 13% Free

4973 MB

Change Internet Receive Buffer Performance default

Delete Temporary Files Performance 83 MB

Defragment File (Drive C:) Performance 1195

Defragment Drive C: Performance 33%

Check Disk Speed (Drive D:) Performance 13 MB/s

Empty Recycle Bin (Drive C:) Performance 206 MB

Update Display Adapters Driver Drivers 4/7/2004

Update Network adapters Driver Drivers 7/11/2003

Update Sound,video and game controllers Driver Drivers 4/9/2004

Here is the information about my computer......

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/browse.asp

OverDrive System Browser

X Make PC Type Name Test

Results

X DELL-7AA614E45C

Intel Pentium 4

3200 MHz XP Pro SP3 6/10/11

10 Issues

I tried following the step-by-step instructions and got as far as this, but couldn't figure out what it means when it is talking about ""&report=Summary" has been added after the conid number in these results" (What, and where, is a conid number????)

..."Clicking on a date under 'Test Results will again take you to the 'Recommended Fixes' screen for that test. Note that "&report=Summary" has been added after the conid number in these results. This will need to be removed to display your test results through the Tech Express link in your profile.

Highlight and copy the URL for the "Recommended Fixes" page for the test results you wish to display. If you want to share your results in an email or on the forum, simply paste the URL in your email or post and you are done..."

Can you find my test results with the above info??

My computer has a D drive but I noticed it did not get scanned in the test.

Thank you,

anoldlady

Yes, it's right here > http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24403490&report=Summary

When you open that link, you're faced with the Recommended Fixes, click each one and it will tell you how to fix each one.

Your "C" drive (likely the one Windows is installed on) is getting full, you might try deleting all your temporary files, here's how:

a. Click on Start and then Run.

b. In the text box in the Run window, type %Temp% and click OK. A folder full of files and other folders will appear.

c. All of the folders and files you see in this Temp folder are no longer being used by Windows XP and can safely be deleted.

d. To remove individual folders or files, hold down your Ctrl key while left-clicking on each item you want delete. Release the Ctrl key when you're finished.

e. To delete these items, hit your Delete key or choose File and then Delete from the menu.

f. Confirm that you want to delete the files by clicking Yes on the Confirm Multiple File Delete window that opens.

If you'd instead like to remove everything inside the Temp folder, choose Edit and then Select All from the menu.

Note: If you're prompted that there are hidden files in this folder, just click on OK to bypass the message. A few hidden files hanging out in the Temp folder probably aren't important enough to worry about.

Now that all of the files and folders are selected, hit your Delete key or choose File and then Delete from the menu.

Confirm that you want to delete the files by clicking Yes on the Confirm Multiple File Delete window that opens.

After all of the files have been deleted you can close the window and empty your Recycle Bin, permanently removing the files from your PC.

Tip:

You may receive a Error Deleting File or Folder message while the files are being deleted. This just means that one of the files is in use by a program right now. Click OK, close all open programs, and repeat the steps above. If you still receive the message, try restarting your PC and repeating the process again.

See if that helps and we'll try more as needed...

:geezer:

Archived