Sign in to follow this  
s88fan

Slowwwww Boot Up

Howdy all,

System: Pentium dual-core CPU T4400 2.2GHz processors, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit, Windows 7 Home Premium edition, Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop.

This computer is taking well over a minute to boot up and the time seems to be getting longer and longer. Steps taken recently include spyware/adware/malware scans (1 file quarantined), typical defrag, disk cleanup but nothing seems to affect the time. Event Viewer is logging several errors on the Kernel event area and reads:

Filename: C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl

Error Code: 3221225864

Would this slow down the boot process and, if so, anyone have a clue how to rectify this? Thanks for your time.

:wp: s88fan

I'm going to move your question to User to User Help. Just click on the link and keep a watch on your topic ;)

on windows 7, go to start menu, type in msconfig

you want selective startup. then go to startup tab and uncheck anything u dont want.save and reboot. try that

Howdy all,

System: Pentium dual-core CPU T4400 2.2GHz processors, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit, Windows 7 Home Premium edition, Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop.

This computer is taking well over a minute to boot up and the time seems to be getting longer and longer. Steps taken recently include spyware/adware/malware scans (1 file quarantined), typical defrag, disk cleanup but nothing seems to affect the time. Event Viewer is logging several errors on the Kernel event area and reads:

Filename: C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl

Error Code: 3221225864

Would this slow down the boot process and, if so, anyone have a clue how to rectify this? Thanks for your time.

This sounds like a relatively new system and I don't think it should be coaking up like the older Windows OS's. My XP system took about two years to get out of shape. Do they still need to do the defrag on Windows 7? I think 1 min. is about normal. When my system finally coaks up I use Re-image on it. Re-image saved this computer some years ago when windows XP software got corrupted. The system would not even boot in safe mode. I had to try several times to get it to boot. I ran re-image and it was returned to brand new condition without a complete system re-install. Re-image took about an hour. With the re-install I would have been two days getting all my programs back in operation and data restored. Even then it would not have been like before.

S88fan, My W7 takes about 1min to boot, what antivirus are you running.

I have just removed Norton from a friends running Seven Ultimate and replaced with MS security essentials and halved the boot time.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm running Symantec Endpoint software. I got rid of the McAfee about two months ago as well. I increased the log file size to 60 and that took care of the error I get in the Even Viewer relating to the boot file. The logon process is running just a tad over a minute now so all is well. Again, thanks for the recommendations.

S88fan