Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

Can't Get My Memory Speed Right

I have 3 sticks of PVT 1600ELK patroit memory, 3x1 gig sticks. I added the other day 3 more sticks of identical memory, patroit PVT1600ELK 3x2 gig sticks ( 9 gigs memory total) . Even though these are 1600 speed memory modules, it was running at 1066, I went into the cell menu in my bios and adjusted the dram volts to 1.64 and tried to set my memory at 1600 but windows would bsod, even though my i7 920 is at the default. I can o/c this thing to 3.8 and 1440 on the memory but if I try to go above 1500 on the memory even at 2.6 ghz on my cpu, I get a bsod. What's bottling me up that preventing me from getting my 1600 speed on my memory?

I have an MSI X58 Pro mobo, i7 920 cpu and a 4850 ATI video card. Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Edited by Joe C

How does it behave with only the new 2 gig stixs installed, Joe?

:) Y

did you raise the qpi volts? the more stress you have more volts you should put for qpi. mines at 1.45v last i checked. @ 1920mhz cpu at bout 4.0.

side note, i cant run my system at stock clocks so try oc. bclck @ 160, ram will be at 1600 and relax timings. 11-11-11-28

It was running 1066 before I added more memory, I'm just now getting around to getting things working right ...or at least attempting to.

Can't recall the qpi volts so i'll need to get back into my cell menu to find out. I can recall most everything being set to auto mode. I did not see bclck in the bios cell menu.

Here what I currently have with cpuid:

processor

Posted Image

memory, the memory settings are supposed to be 9-9-9-24

Posted Image

the cpu bus try at 160. for sure relax the timings, so turn off auto and manually do it then check volts.a setup like that needs fine tweaking. a lot lol

O.K. Joe, for starters the bclk that kido was referring to is your Base Clock. Looks like you want to enter Memory-Z and set your RAM speed manually there. After that go into Advanced DRAM Config and set your timings, I'd keep them loose, something like 10-10-10-30-2N or such...

For your QPI I think I'd set it at "full speed" but what are your options for the QPI frequency??

According to your CPU-Z shot it looks like your CPU voltage is high, I'm cranking that much for 3.8-4.0Ghz with my QPI @ 1.3500v. Like el kido says you may have to vary your QPI between 1.35-1.40v to get your RAM to run at speed...

Hope some of that makes sense.

:geezer:

thanks Caintry. I'll reboot and check out those cell menu settings now

I think I got it now and I'll post what I did but I keep getting side tracked so I'll be back

Memory Z only is a read area in the cell menu. The options to change the timings are in the "Advanced Dram" I set it to 10-10-10-30. The QPI frequency's are not read in volts, but in GT's

Like This:

4.800GT

5.866 GT

6.400 GT

it was at 4.800 GT

The area for QPI volts read like this:

+0.00

+0.010

+0.020

+0.030.....ect

Which are off set values to what the voltage is applied

Qpi link Speed has two settings, the first is slow- mode and the second being full-speed. The default is full-speed so I left it there. I set the Memory ratio to 3 and the pc would not reboot...had to clear the bios. after the bios cleared to defaults, I reset everything excepy the QPI frequency, the default was 6.400GT so I left it there, I o/c'd it to 3.2 gigs and 1600 on the memory...booted up. I then reset the memory timings several times until I got 9-9-9-24. Everything seeme to be o.k. except this QPI 6.400 thing, I can't find anything in the manual or any where else that tells me what these settings mean

Anybody's got any ideas?

Here's my current settings now

Posted Image

Posted Image

o.k.

did some more reading on the QPi, after checking my board and cpu are rated for QPI frequency 6/4 GT's so I some had the QPI wrong to begin with!

Thanks to everybody that helped me get started in using cell menu's. it's a learning experience even if I'm a few years behind on this

o.k.

did some more reading on the QPi, after checking my board and cpu are rated for QPI frequency 6/4 GT's so I some had the QPI wrong to begin with!

Thanks to everybody that helped me get started in using cell menu's. it's a learning experience even if I'm a few years behind on this

Well sir the X58 thing was entirely new to me, sort of like going from AMD over to Intel, I'm still not completely "up to date". ;)

really...Like I stated earlier, I went from a single core AMD barton chip to the 1366 Intel. It's still going to take a while to get some more extra fine tuning done

on my phone trying to help out hopefully i read it right....qpi link you want full speed at the lowest setting. i think thats either 3.6 or 4.8? because once you oc it increases and will become unstable.

on my phone trying to help out hopefully i read it right....qpi link you want full speed at the lowest setting. i think thats either 3.6 or 4.8? because once you oc it increases and will become unstable.

+1

I have one board that reads 3.6, 4.8 etc...I have another that reads 3602, 48xx, etc...

I always go with the lowest speed that is twice the RAM speed (at least). ;)

6.4 GT @ 3.2 o/c 1600 mhz on the memory :banana:

probably should run h/w monitor and run something to check my temps

6.4 GT @ 3.2 o/c 1600 mhz on the memory :banana:

probably should run h/w monitor and run something to check my temps

I know of no better test for stability and temps than [email protected]!! We could always use you on our team to Joe.....

no... it's a Dell with a dual core 2.8 cpu, 2 gigs of memory

The last few days I've been using my i7 for working...converting and editing vhs tapes to dvd disks

If I'm doing something wrong, I'll posrt about it in the right forum, but I'm a noob at this and just installed it without looking into anything about it

Edited by Joe C