Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

"drive-by" Malware

Just spent the last 30 minutes removing one of those "drive-by" fake antivirus infections. (Vista Anti-Spyware 2011) That one was one of the better ones that I have seen. It managed to stop the execution of any security files from running in safe mode. System restore wouldn't run either. Sneeky little bugger. :hammer:

Hey Signman,

Next time you get one of those, have a try with this:

MS System Sweeper

Let me know how you get on.

If I get a problem PC through, I will try it and report.

It's in beta at the moment, but looks like a serious attempt by microsoft to help with the malware/ virus fight.

Thanks a lot nigsy. Looks like I could have used that this morning. I managed to trick the malware by renaming my Malwarebytes execution file. Ran Malwarebytes ...found 5 infected files and removed. Also ran Microsoft Security Essentials after Malwarebytes ...which found nothing. Then I topped it off with Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool.....which didn't find anything...so I appear to be clean again.

Just spent the last 30 minutes removing one of those "drive-by" fake antivirus infections. (Vista Anti-Spyware 2011) That one was one of the better ones that I have seen. It managed to stop the execution of any security files from running in safe mode. System restore wouldn't run either. Sneeky little bugger. :hammer:

hey, i just cleaned a friend of mine's son's computer that had the "windows 7 security 2011" infection. same thing...different name. i have seen it go by a similar name with "xp" as well.

my friend's son actually took the bait and forked out $50 to these low lifes for a supposed one year's worth of protection. :surrender:

his computer also had the win32 tdss rootkit on it. don't know if it came with the other virus, or if it was already there. you might want to run a scan for that as well.....kaspersky has a nice little tool for that:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684