Sign in to follow this  
warchild119

Silent Fans

see what the noise levels are like when you build it first, reviews say it's a very quite case, so don't waste money on buying new fans until/unless you do decide you need them.

for 120mm fan tho i can recommend noctua :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%2050012454&IsNodeId=1&name=Noctua

they're not cheap tho.

:b33r:

better power supply ..check!!! how about the rest of the setup?

im also looking for two hard drives.one to run the os and another one for storage.

is the caviar green worth it?

Edited by warchild119

These hdd's should work fine...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Or one of these two blacks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

If $$ is and object, I'd prolly lean toward the Samsung drive...

I think everything else looks good, but check out the HAF case I recommended.

:geezer:

a haf case doesn't really make for a good htpc setup caintry, especially when you want to slide the case into/under a tv cabinet. ;)

to be honest caintry i don't see a problem with the case he's going to use(and i think that one is microatx only and he's going with a full atx motherboard). :shrug:

you can use any case you like for a htpc, just depends on where they want to put it or if it'll look ok as part of your home media setup etc, same as any case, it's all about personal needs/likes.

Edited by terry1966

I have used a couple different nMedia cases over the years. In general they are quiet, they are designed with a living area in mind, they have several options to choose from and the cost is very very good compared to companies like silverstone which is in my opinion way overrated.

Go ahead and get the nMedia case, and try it out, I think you will pleasantly surprised at how quiet it will be. I quiet CPU cooler is the thing you need to be concerned about. A good quiet CPU cooler to fit in a smaller HTPC case can be difficult.

ok. all the parts are here and im almost ready to put it together.

i noticed two of the items have a mail in rebate. the power supply and the video card.

how can i redeem this rebates?

Probably have to go online where you bought parts and download and print a rebate form. Normally on the item page (Newegg) they give a link. Follow your instructions carefully and keep copies of all paperwork mailed in.

After looking, for the PSU down where it says $89.99 "after mail in rebate", < link is here.

ok i put everything together last night. just a little problem with the case cause the dvd drive wouldnt align with the button but i fix it.as soon as the pc power up for the first time i went to the bios to check that everything was ok .

the cpu was registering a temperature of +141.8 F/+61.0 c. cant explain how it displays a rapid increase of temperature.the case was open and i was next to the ac.the apartment wasnt hot at all.i played alittle with the pc and had no problems.today i wake up turn it on and went straight to the bios. the temp was at +115.0 f. left it alone on that screen and went to do something came back 15 mins later and temp was at +157.0 f ...what could be wrong here?

ok i put everything together last night. just a little problem with the case cause the dvd drive wouldnt align with the button but i fix it.as soon as the pc power up for the first time i went to the bios to check that everything was ok .

the cpu was registering a temperature of +141.8 F/+61.0 c. cant explain how it displays a rapid increase of temperature.the case was open and i was next to the ac.the apartment wasnt hot at all.i played alittle with the pc and had no problems.today i wake up turn it on and went straight to the bios. the temp was at +115.0 f. left it alone on that screen and went to do something came back 15 mins later and temp was at +157.0 f ...what could be wrong here?

Refresh me, what sort of cooling are you running on the CPU?

I'd begin by removing the heatsink/fan and then removing all thermal paste with rubbing alcohol, then apply a nice thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 to CPU and reinstall the heatsink.

came home,removed and re apply the thermal paste.turn on the pc,went to the bios and the termomether there was showing me the temp at +113.0 f.

restarted the pc and downloaded a program called realtemp 360.it showed me the temp on all four cores and the temp was 34 degrees f the highiest.

could there be a malfunction on the bios?

Go here and grab CoreTemp. (Right below where it says "download installer it has the option to get 32 or 64 bit pick one)

Save it to a folder of it's own and unzip it to that folder. Right click the application and select "send to desktop".

Let us know what it says the cores are running at...should be close to RealTemp.

I believe that RealTemp and CoreTemp are telling you the truth and that your BIOS temps are way off....

FWIW, I use CoreTemp religiously. ;)