Sign in to follow this  
BigBadBart25

Dell Latitude D531 Cpu Issue

Hi Crew,

Here I am once again with my old Dell Latitude D531 Laptop. Running Windows 7 Home User. In the last few days I have noticed a significant drop in Performance, where I cant even play a game of Monopoly on Facebook, or even just booting up takes forever. Fan's are clean, Was taken apart again about a few month ago or so to clean everything out (dirt etc) and cleaned out a plugged CPU Cooler. Anyways, The fan's are not running in high speed or anything so I know it's not that. In the Bios it says this:

Processor Type: AMD Sempron

Processor ID: 0FC2

Current Clock Speed: 600,Mhz

Minimum Clock 800MHZ

Maxinum Clock 1.8 GHZ

Dual Core Processor No.

So, if I am reading this correctly It is running at below minimal clock speed? WHY!!! With the original Bios it would not let me change anything with those settings. Went on Dell's website and got the most current bios firmware and fflashed it. It gave me another wireless option, otherwise that was about it. Still cant change any of those settings. SO. A couple of questions. One. WTH happened? I did reset the bios to defaults and only did a few tweaks, but that was just turning of bluetooth which it dont have and a wifi option. Otherwise factory. Is there software where I can go physically change this so I can get this back up to fast performance again? Last one, Would a dual core processor actually work in this? I am running the onoard diagnostics on it now, and will take a few hours to complete. I have a feeling it is going to come out ok. HELP!

Thanks

Jeff

I did run the bios diagnostics, and it says everything is fine. So that was no help. Only error it says was it could not find an additional diagnostics program on the hardrive. I will see if I can find that on the dell website for further testing. Still need help!

try running Hardware Monitor on it to check the temps, high temps are the only thing I can think of right off that would throttle the cpu down

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edit: I have seen on some Dell laptops where the power supply was rated for 60watts and the laptop required 90watts...you see the drop in the cpu that way too

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I did get it when you responded, but had a very busy couple of days. Barely been on it. Long enough to hop on facebook, chek mail. and play my daily game of Monopoly on FB. LOL With the warmer weather finally hitting erie, having been in as much. But I will install it hopefully tomorrow morn when i gp on it again. I will then let you know of the results. Hear is another piece. I did get a replacement power supply block for it about 2 months ago, cause the original stopped charging the battery and yes CPU Slowness. I have recently come to notice now the replacement is starting to do the same thing. If I run off of battery the performance is better. Also, sometimes if I just turn it all the way off, (especially if the power chord became disconnected from the back of the laptop. Sometimes that helps with the speed. Frustrating. LOL But i am currently going through bankruptcy, (like a ton of other amerians) so got to work with what I got. On a side note, did find a dual core process or for upgrade on sale $10. YAY! But will have to wait on that for awhile too. LOL All in due time. keep ya posted.

Thanks,

jeff

Joe,

I have the screenshot of my temps on the Laptop. Again, if I run it off of battery it is fine. If plug it back in and it actually charges then it runs fine. If it says on AC/ not charging then it is slower than ever. This is the second power adapter for it. It worked for awhile and now it is back to the same garbage. I dunno maybe something more than meets the eye.

Dell INC. oxm006

Temp

NOW:THM_52 © (126 F) Min: 43 C (108F) MAX 71 © (158 F)

Mobile AMD Sempron 3500+ Min 38 © 100(F) 67 © 152 (F)

Core #0 Now 48 © 118(F) 38 © 100 (F) 67 © 152 (F)

Jeff

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I did get it when you responded, but had a very busy couple of days. Barely been on it. Long enough to hop on facebook, chek mail. and play my daily game of Monopoly on FB. LOL With the warmer weather finally hitting erie, having been in as much. But I will install it hopefully tomorrow morn when i gp on it again. I will then let you know of the results. Hear is another piece. I did get a replacement power supply block for it about 2 months ago, cause the original stopped charging the battery and yes CPU Slowness. I have recently come to notice now the replacement is starting to do the same thing. If I run off of battery the performance is better. Also, sometimes if I just turn it all the way off, (especially if the power chord became disconnected from the back of the laptop. Sometimes that helps with the speed. Frustrating. LOL But i am currently going through bankruptcy, (like a ton of other amerians) so got to work with what I got. On a side note, did find a dual core process or for upgrade on sale $10. YAY! But will have to wait on that for awhile too. LOL All in due time. keep ya posted.

Thanks,

jeff

I realise this is an old thread.

It's the power supply, either your not using a genuine one or the middle wire has become detached.

God knows why dell are such a nightmare with power supplies, if its the right voltage and amps then it should work. Not in dells world. Ive just gone through this exact issue. 600mhz, changed the power supply now running at 2ghz.

It is only 4 years old, I m sure they will be back to see if a resolution can be found :rolleyes:

Yep. Battery should have run out by now.