Change Mode

Oracle Begs For Help

Many people are aware that Oracle acquired OpenOffice. Those who are familiar with Oracles record, knew this would be a bad thing for OpenOffice.

After the acquisition one of the first things they did was remove the developers from the board, and said basically go away and leave us alone. They didn't want any advice, assistance, or help with OpenOffice.

The OpenOffice developers immediately forked the code and started LibreOffice. LibreOffice has been moving fast, adding options and features.

Oracle started it's proprietary pay for service OpenOffice cloud, and development of OpenOffice was falling behind.

Now all of a sudden, they shut down their proprietary pay service, and are begging for the developers to come back.

Oracle has as usual shot itself in the head, not the foot, but right straight between their beady little narrow eyes.

LibreOffice has already become the default Office Suite in openSUSE, and many other distributions will soon follow.

LibreOffice has in just a few months already outpaced OpenOffice in features and compatibility, and I seriously doubt the folks who started LibreOffice are eager to go back to working with/for Oracle.

http://www.h-online....te-1228831.html

Needless to say I am very happy that LibreOffice was started and is a completely unhindered by corporate garbage Office Suite. It is outpacing the development of its older rival, and will continue to do so. :tup:

Of course it is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS http://www.libreoffice.org/

Edited by Bruce

This is no surprise - they bought Sun Microsystems and got Open Office by default - also mySQL server, don't even know if that still exists.

They needed to buy sun as the new iteration of Oracle fusion runs solely on a java platform, also sun provided the storage solutions that were missing from the Oracle database and middleware packages, instead having to rely on IBM, so good business from Oracles point of view.

I think they are now realizing the missed potential of Open Office and the move by companies to cloud computing, through google docs and MS and are now panicking as businesses can not get the full package from Oracle but still have to rely on other vendors to provide the add-ons!!

Never heard of Libre Office but am sure going to try it.

Edited by nigsy

Libre Office is based on the source code of Open Office, the difference is the developers have total control over it so they can make it better, enhance it, change it, move in a different direction without the likes of Oracle making the decisions.

Oracle aka Larry Ellison blew it big time when he/they spit in the eye of the very people who have been for several years doing the brunt of the work on Open Office.

They spit right back in his by starting Libre Office.

It doesn't have the "name recognition" yet, but it doesn't take long in the open source world for a new branch of code to overshadow another.

The day Libre Office was made the default in openSUSE was the day that overshadowing started to take place. ;)

More than 30 developers were part of the original exodus, and with backing from heavy hitters like Google, Canonical, Novell, and Red Hat The Document Foundation hit the ground running with its alternative to the already-alternative productive suite, LibreOffice. Those sponsors had previously lent their support to Oracle’s project, and eventually the defections would prove to be more than Oracle could cope with. It became virtually impossible for the company to continue maintaining OpenOffice.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/oracle-says-its-done-sticks-a-second-fork-in-openoffice-20110418/

is it even possible to understand oracle and their poor decisions?

i don't understand them, what it is that they want, what they don't want, their purpose, why they would trash opensource, i don't get it.

is it even possible to understand oracle and their poor decisions?

i don't understand them, what it is that they want, what they don't want, their purpose, why they would trash opensource, i don't get it.

It wasn't a poor decision by Oracle. Open office was a tiny part of what they wanted, if they wanted it at all.

They need Sun Micro systems and the server and Java development platforms they developed. This was excellent business as it now means they do not rely on 3rd party when the sell an organisation their technology..you get a complete Oracle solution - from the server technology, PL/SQL to develop content, through to Fusion Middleware and business intelligence tools.

SAP were beginning to steal some of Oracles customers due to their more complete offer, this has now been reversed.

Sad though the open office saga is, you have to see the bigger picture in Oracles decision.

And yes I am a certified Oracle Business Intelligence and Payroll implementation consultant so I know the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is Larry Ellis aka Oracle does not care what he destroys, so long as it will make him a few bucks.

The open source community was basically spit on by Oracle. When Oracles cloud based office (based on open office) flopped like a dead fish, and they couldn't improve upon OpenOffice because they insulted and disrespected the developers making 30+ of the best developers walk away, the whole project got stagnant. Dead in the water and falling far behind Libre Office. Oracle hasn't a clue about how such projects work and they blew it big time when they tried to "dictate" to the developers of OpenOffice.

So he/they decide to hand the community a kleenex to wipe the vile spit from their faces in an effort to try and get OpenOffice rolling again. Too little too late Mr Ellis.

Oracle will eventually destroy java by locking it down, and insulting developers. People will abandon it leaving Oracle with a huge pile of dung. ;)

The whole world would be better off if someone would flush Oracle down a toilet like the dung that they are.

• 3 months later...

So, is Libre Office still the godsend/breath of fresh air that it was in April? Are there bugs that still need to be worked out? Is it a pretty decent Open Office replacement? I'm still using Novell Open Office 3.1-9, is Libre Office any better as a Microsoft Office compatible application? Does it open any faster than Novell's Open Office? Is Libre Office still recommended as vehemently as it was in April? -kd5-

You can go to the libre office site and check the release notes for bugs

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/

I've put it on a few pc's and tried it out on each pc before I let it go. Seems to open quickly and works as well if not better than office '10 (imho) I do not use libre office on a daily basis so I can't give an accurate review, but the reviews can be googled

http://www.google.com/search?q=libre+office++reviesw&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I personally think it's a better replacement for open office, and it's compatible with M$ office

Thanks Joe.

Next question: There are currently 2 versions of LibreOffice available for download: v3.4.2, released Aug 1st, and (apparently) an earlier version released more recently, v3.3.4, released Aug. 17th. Which version is better?

Thanks, -kd5-

The Document Foundation maintains two editions of LibreOffice: version 3.3.x caters to conservative users, who wish to stick to a proven release in deep maintenance mode, with increasingly infrequent updates, while the 3.4 branch provides a more modern and featurefull release. We therefore strongly recommend everyone to update to the 3.4 series in the near future.

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/08/17/libreoffice-3-3-4-is-ready-for-download/

either or. :lol:

:b33r:

Yes, I saw that too, while I was there trying to figure out which one would be better. I take it that you have no personal experience with either? -kd5-

• 1 month later...